VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 03:57:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [unresolved](to be continued...) Trouble setting up syncmaster 275t to 1920x1200  (Read 2184 times)
Jack Matier

« on: March 09, 2009, 02:21:46 pm »

Update:
Thus far I've spent my free time for this month trying to resolve this issue and tinker with vector. I do hope to return to it but it'll be another day, probably next month sometime.

Version:
- VL 6.0 Std Gold (MD5 Sum Checked out)

Desktop windows manager:
- XFCE 4

Problem:
I'm having trouble setting up the correct resolution of my monitor (Syncmaster 275t) at its desired 1920x1200 resolution.

I've tried:
- Going through VASM's VXCONF, AUTO and VESA.
- Editing VXCONF's outputed xorg file.
- Going through xorgconfig and xorgsetup
- Editing those files.

I have the correct horizontal and vertical sync.

The closest I got was 1920 x 1200 was 1920 x 1080, and when I set it to a lower screen size with the same aspect ratio (1440x900) I get the resolution of 1024 x ?.

I edited the 1920x1080 xorg.conf to 1920x1200 and received coloured vertical (|| = up and down) static stripes for about every 5 cm's of screen.. But I believe it was actually 1920x1200.. Is there a way to actually check this? I just estimate based on the way www.vectorlinux.com looks in a browser and whether the screen is contorted.

The maximum setting that comes up in the display preferences has always been 1280x1024 despite the xorg.conf.. are these in any way related?

I must be missing something obvious here. I have looked through the docs, faqs and searched the forums but couldn't find anything that solved my issue unfortunately.

Been struggling with this for about a day.

... I know the computer can handle it as it's done it before on Ubuntu, but I'd really prefer to have Vector on here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:12:25 pm by Jack Matier » Logged
Jack Matier

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:25 pm »

I've been around the corner and back again, though unfortunately I haven't recorded every single thing I've tried.

Interestingly, I have the specifications of my Video Driver and it says it can't display anything above 1600x1200 but I know Ubuntu did it. Even so.. I wouldn't mind getting even 1440x900 working as it's the same aspect ratio but all I can seem to get working is 1440x1024 so it shoves everything into the corner of my screen.

I specify 1440x900 in xorg, it comes out as 1440x1024.

I put in the exact mm dimensions of the screen size (just the screen, no frame, stand etc.).. as well as looked up the exact horizontal and vertical refresh rates at xyz resolution.. nothing.

Video Driver is Matrox Millennium G450 with 11 MB of video memory.

I did find a way to check what my current resolution is, this is the full output from System Information.. next time I'll only place the resolution to keep this thread smaller.

Code:
-Display-
Resolution : 1400x1050 pixels
Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Version : 1.4.2
-Monitors-
Monitor 0 : 1400x1050 pixels
-Extensions-
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
DEC-XTRAP
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
Extended-Visual-Information
GLX
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
RANDR
RECORD
RENDER
SECURITY
SGI-GLX
SHAPE
SYNC
TOG-CUP
X-Resource
XAccessControlExtension
XC-APPGROUP
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XFree86-Bigfont
XFree86-DGA
XFree86-Misc
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XINERAMA
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
-OpenGL-
Vendor : Mesa project
Renderer : Mesa GLX Indirect
Version : 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.2)
Direct Rendering : No
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 08:08:34 pm by Jack Matier » Logged
Jack Matier

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:24:31 pm »

So yeah I booted into the ubuntu live 8.04 cd and it went right to a 1920x1200 resolution... I then went to copy the xorg.conf but when I opened it found that there's practically nothing in there... not enough for any sort of setup.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:55:14 am »

X does a lot of autodetection. Perhaps you can simply delete the resolution lines in xorg.conf and X will figure it out.

However, this might depend on X's version, which might be different in Ubuntu.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:27:46 pm »

Might be worth posting your xorg.conf file here just in case there is anything you,ve missed. Also what vertical refresh rate does youre monitor run at when at 1920x1200?

Chris
Jack Matier

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:58:51 pm »

X does a lot of autodetection. Perhaps you can simply delete the resolution lines in xorg.conf and X will figure it out.

However, this might depend on X's version, which might be different in Ubuntu.

That's a great idea. Thanks. I tried it and got the resolution of 1024 x 768

For Ubuntu 8.04 the xorg.conf is generated by dexconf, this is from booting it up live but I opened every xorg.conf instance (there were half a dozen files) and most of them were blank.

Tried its file anyway to get a complete x failure *laughs*
Jack Matier

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:08:34 pm »

Might be worth posting your xorg.conf file here just in case there is anything you,ve missed. Also what vertical refresh rate does youre monitor run at when at 1920x1200?

Chris

I should really keep a record of all my different xorg.conf files by backing them up and uploading them here.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/support.do?group=computersaccessories&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS27HUCCB/XAA&mode=C is my monitor.. only it's not 275t plus.. it's just 275t. Which really could be a problem but i can't find any document on 275t so this will have to do. There is no book that came with my purchase.

The horizontal and Vertical sync rate for VESA 1920x1200 is 74.038 kHz x 59.950 Hz respectively. I tried putting in those values as maximum ranges as well as static ranges a while back. I don't remember what happened. I could try it again though.

I'm thinking about creating a xorg.conf file from a barebones xorg.conf file but I don't have the time.

As I don't have anymore time to tinker with this and I've fallen behind on other duties in life (you know, from doing this for two days straight), I'm leaving this as [unresolved] but will return to it when I do have time.. Maybe next month.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 04:23:51 pm »

One final suggestion is commenting the lines with VertRefresh and HorizRefresh and let X figure it out.

The reason is some resolutions conflict with the refresh values (at least on my laptop, I needed to comment those lines to get the proper resolution on an external monitor).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: