VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 12:06:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6.0 STD GOLD - Programs not loading sometimes  (Read 1268 times)
dave_e_84

« on: March 08, 2009, 05:43:23 am »

Dear all,

I have been experimenting with VL 6.0 STD Gold for a few days now. From my experiences, it appears to be a stable and user-friendly OS.

However, there is a problem I am finding with the loading of programs that require the root password. After selecting the program in the main menu (equivalent to the Windows Start Menu), a prompt for my root password shows up. I enter the password and press ENTER. Following this, sometimes the program loads, and sometimes it doesn't. At the times it doesn't load, an hour glass shows up for a long time then disappears with no sign of the program loading.

I have noticed that when the password is wrong, the program doesn't load, too. The OS shows the hour glass with no sign of the program loading. But I am sure that I am putting the password in correctly without the CAPS LOCK on or anything.

The same seems to occur even when using the keyring. At one time, I tried to load gslapt fom the System category of the Start menu and the hour glass showed up for a long time with no sign of the program loading. The next time I tried, doing the same exact thing, gslapt opened correctly.

Is this a bug or am I just doing something wrong?

I am running Vector Linux Std Gold 6.0 in Sun xVM VirtualBox 2.1.4 for Windows, to test it out, with the following specs on the virtual box:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz T9300
Base memory: 256 MB
Video memory: 32 MB
Sound: ICH AC97

I am wanting to possibly put Vector Linux on older machines (P3s) later on, if I get the time. Your operating system looks to be the best choice, so I hope that I can get these issues figured out.

Regards,

Dave
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:44:24 am »

What programs are doing this and are you sure you don't already have an instance of those programs already loaded?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:22:52 am »

Also you can do in a terminal something like

Code:
vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt

and check for error messages. Paste those errors here if any.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:43:46 pm »

I saw the same problem during the beta cycle, and I'm still seeing it fairly frequently, mainly when using Thunar's context menu to install or update a package. I've also seen it sometimes when trying to start Gslapt.

Most of the time, I can avoid it by clicking on the OK button instead of hitting enter after entering the root password, but sometimes even that fails to work, and I get a semi-busy cursor for a minute or so. When it fails, it sometimes also fails on a second attempt unless I wait for the semi-busy cursor to clear.

Zenwalk is using the same version of Gksu, but I've not hit the problem when running  things through Gksu on it.

paul.
dave_e_84

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:29 pm »

toothandnail:

Are you using a Virtual Machine, or are you using a standard PC? I am wondering whether it could be the Virtual Machine that is causing it.

As it only seems to occur when accessing root resources as a normal user, it is not a problem for normal users; just makes it slower to perform adminstrative tasks.

Is there an alternative to vsuper/gksu?

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.

EDIT: I realise now that I can just use the root account for administrative tasks, bypassing gksu entirely. That should solve my problem.

Thanks for all the help.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 11:27:42 pm by dave_e_84 » Logged
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »

I've seen this problem also, but only when starting Gslapt.  I thought it was just me ... like I was going wacky or something, but then I realized I'm already wacky.

I'm not using a virtual machine.  Gslapt always starts on the second try for me.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 04:45:54 am »

EDIT: I realise now that I can just use the root account for administrative tasks, bypassing gksu entirely. That should solve my problem.

You can also use a terminal, enter "su" and run your admin programs that way.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:08:01 am »

I've seen this problem also, but only when starting Gslapt.  I thought it was just me ... like I was going wacky or something, but then I realized I'm already wacky.

Grin No comment........

I'm not using a virtual machine.  Gslapt always starts on the second try for me.

I'm not using a virtual machine either. I have noticed that sometimes it won't work on a second attempt if the 'part-wait' cursor is still visible (which seems to take a while to clear with gksu). Usually it does work on a second attempt though.

I guess I probably use the Thunar context menu quite often, since I will normally install a package I've built using Thunar so I can test it before uploading.

paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: