VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 07:29:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Obscure Programming Languages Review (WAS: 'Libs from slackware repo's?')  (Read 7145 times)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 01:52:33 am »

I just discovered it from looking for io @ google,  it seems that people involved in io is somewhat related to development of other new languages. 
For example, some people in #io are in #squeak, #smalltalk, #parrot, #perl6, etc.

You gotta love that Smiley

Btw, today is the parrot 1.0 release day.    I've tried some things with earlier git versions and perl6 seems a beast on its own.  If we can merge many programming languages all executing in the same parrot vm... well, let's see how it evolves and how community takes this parrot release.

Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 07:23:43 am »

Quote from: kidd
Btw, today is the parrot 1.0 release day.    I've tried some things with earlier git versions and perl6 seems a beast on its own.  If we can merge many programming languages all executing in the same parrot vm... well, let's see how it evolves and how community takes this parrot release.

Only read a bit recently about Parrot ... looks amazing... does it allow cross-language communication without bogging down the machine?  I mean, it seems odd to have, say, the Io VM running in the Parrot VM, which in turn might be running a Perl program - and then they share something.  At some point, isn't it more sensible just to write the application from scratch in one language that is robust enough to get the intended result? Then again, reusing code is a big advantage.  Or am I missing the Parrot boat here?

On the Io front: Kidd, Rodrigo mentioned above that you're working on compiling Io... do you plan to package it up for VL? (Please  Cheesy)

- H

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:23:58 pm by Windozer » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44:25 am »

Hey windozer! weekend time == hacking time, right?  Cheesy

Parrot is a vm and it's flexible enough to make (reasonably) easy to implement language interpreters in it.

I'm no expert at parrot affairs by any means, but I think:

It means that you won't have a python interpreter interacting with parrot vm but a python interpreter bundled into parrot, so it manages everything on its own.

The thing is every single language that parrot can understand will be internally translated to a parrot bytecode.  It's a kind of assembler for parrot , or java bytecode.  There is where parrot can merge code trees, calls, and objects.  When it's working, it will allow using cpan modules from python, or ruby libraries from perl.  It's not only being able to exec a function, but managing objects from different languages at the same time! I've seen some codes that already do that.  To be able to do this, parrot devs are doing super-extra effords to make parrot language agnostic, and not supposing anything about the languages that it's interpreting.  This way, every language can work as a self, and then be executed there, in that 'heterogenous' environment.

It's more or less what .net vm does for some (mostly static) languages, where .o files (compiled objects) have all info, and it links them all and make them run, but for dynamic languages, where mostly everything is decided at runtime.

To make it happen, parrot vm can do continuations (the most powerful of all control structures).

Exciting, isn't it?

As for Io package, we're having some troubles packaging it...the source package is totally caotic.  We'll see how it ends :/

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 12:15:54 pm »

weekend time == hacking time, right?  Cheesy

Yes indeedy ... chop! chop!  Cool Grin

[...] every single language that parrot can understand will be internally translated to a parrot bytecode.  [...] parrot devs are doing super-extra effords to make parrot language agnostic, and not supposing anything about the languages that it's interpreting.  This way, every language can work as a self [... and the] parrot vm can do continuations

Wonderful.  The downsides might be that parrot users have to wait for their respective languange to get an updated parrot interface when there's a major revision (to their favorite language).  And with state maintained (contiuations), the more languages and libraries you're using, the more resources will be gobbled up. Do you think parrot will be able to handle a large, real-world application suite?

.net vm [compared to] dynamic languages

Can parrot impliment .net ?  It (.net) was a real cluster at first, but now, it has serious libs, and has generally gotten better (unless you have to do middleware with it) - nicer especially when you can go from C# to boo... (Ah, yet another cool language!)

Exciting, isn't it?

Indeed - and thanks for bringing our attention to this.  You know, Kidd, we've been off the original topic so long that I took the liberty to rename this thread (or alt least my reply)

As for Io package, we're having some troubles packaging it...the source package is totally caotic.  We'll see how it ends :/

Oh, thanks, now I don't feel so bad - I tried to compile it from source - and got unexpected errors that I'm still hacking on.

ciao - and back to chopping  Wink - H

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 01:12:23 pm »

Windozer++ for the thread renaming.

Keep in mind it's not as dynamic as smalltalk, where everything you *can* use must be loaded.  The more libs you use in your app the more resources it'll take, but that happens everywhere.  I've red somewhere that some benchmarks perform better in parrot than in its original interpreters.

To get a better idea of some ideas about parrot here's an Allison Randal's (parrot architect) talk about it: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2900106024749292774 . She gives a fairly good intro to what's all about.

<speculate>Being compiled languages, if someone wrote the parser and all the structure, I suppose it could run .net code, but not code compiled in .net compiler. </speculate>

I have no experience in .net nor mono (linux and c++ and perl at $work), but I've heard that's getting better and better (with CLR and so)

push @todo , "boo";  # stack overflow is near

To compile and install io on your box , you can unpack it, cd to the main dir, and then  make vm; make install . then ldconfig -v .

I think that's all you need to have a basic io vm in your box.  Installing libs is a real PITA though.

PS: searching @ youtube I stumbled upon this error : http://puntoblogspot.blogspot.com/2009/03/we-have-some-trained-monkeys.html  . funny , eh?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:20:45 pm by kidd » Logged

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 04:36:10 pm »

ideas about parrot here's an Allison Randal's (parrot architect) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2900106024749292774 . She gives a fairly good intro to what's all about.

Yes - although a bit droll of a speaker, she gives an excellent explanation of many essential elements to the subject at hand, including a good, high-level glimpse at programming oddities such as 'corountines' --- she calls them "vcr pause and replay subroutines" and an interesting discussion of stacks versus registers (the latter is what parrot uses). 

This video is highly recommendable for anyone interested in improving their understanding of programming languages.

> push @todo , "boo";  # stack overflow is near

Grin Grin
[...] then ldconfig -v .

OH, thanks!  I forgot the '-v' ... no wonder it was weird... works now!.  newslot := chop chop

Installing libs is a real PITA though.

Keep us posted ... I'll try them too.

All I get in opera and seamonkey is an empty frame...  Huh

Coders := Io (rocks)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:44:01 pm by Windozer » Logged

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 12:48:35 am »

I'm glad you liked the video.  I liked it very much too.

Broken link now fixed.

This weekend I've experimented with a couple of smalltalk web frameworks (seaside and Aida).  If I find some time, I'm gonna write something about my feelings wiht them.

See ya next weekend :p

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 04:42:04 pm »

See ya next weekend :p

Sometimes I hack during the week too  Roll Eyes

smalltalk web frameworks

Smalltalk is sooo cool ... I think I might pick it up again too...

Did you ever get editline (RE libedit Rodrigo mentions above) to work in Io?  My Io install seemed to go ok, but the lineedit features which our VL terminals have (Terminal 0.2.8.3 and urxvt) don't get picked up by the Io cli. Any ideas?

- H

PS ... that link was so funny that I posted in humor thread...

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:46:08 pm by Windozer » Logged

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 12:29:17 am »

Installing libedit from the repos should work, but as I said we're still trying to 'get' what's Io tarball about Smiley

If it doesn't work for you, you can try to compile http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/ on your own. 

Installing is pretty forward.  ./configure && make && make install .

Seeya

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 05:50:48 pm »

Installing libedit from the repos should work,

Ahhh, well, I did have libedit in place from the repo before doing the Io compile - and the Io listserve archives mention that Io should spot libedit and install editline.  Maybe editline is an addon to compile separately? (I'm asking the listserve that now.)

try to compile http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/ on your own. 

The lib is ok out of the repo, I think.

but as I said we're still trying to 'get' what's Io tarball about Smiley

Tar is already sticky enough stuff on its own  Tongue

You know, I tried that Io code you have above, but got an error that says the arg to getSlot(i) must be a sequence not a number, ditto the Io reference --- how'd you get that to work?  Huh

thanks
- H

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 12:43:17 am »

You can try to break the expression down to little parts to see where it breaks.   For me, the code is working with a simple cut&paste. 
We may have differnent versions? ...
Code:
Number slotNames foreach(i,                             
     if(Number getSlot(i) type == "Block" ,
             (i .. "     ->  " .. Number getSlot(i) code)  println))

Number slotNames => That should return a list of sequences (strings), with all Number 'class' methods, attributes, blocks , functions, and whatever .-
foreach ...      => we iterate that list , asking for each one, if it's a block or not.
.......          => If it is , it means we have the code available, so let's show it

HTH

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »

break the expression down to little parts to see where it breaks.   For me, the code is working with a simple cut&paste. 
We may have differnent versions? ...

Have a version that's only a few weeks old. Yes... originally did the cut and paste too, but it didn't like ' i ' in getSlot(i). Breaking it down into chunks did same. It treated ' i ' as type number, but Io expects type sequence in getSlot() --- which makes sense as the slot names (keys) are strings.

I'm probably not putting your code snippet into the right context.

> Number slotNames => That should return a list of sequences (strings)

So the " i " in 

>  if(Number getSlot(i) type == "Bock" ,

should be that list of sequences ?

Do you have a sample using getSlots in a different way?

thanks
- H
(PS, I'm looking at Ioke too --- pretty amazing ... down side is getting it installed isn't so simple.)

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 02:18:51 pm »

getSlot takes a sequence (string), so if 'i' var is typed as a number, there
must be a problem with the foreach loop. 

I've just discovered that foreach can take 2 or 3 parameters, the 2 params
version being 'element' and 'code',   and the 3 param version being 'index',
'element', code.

'element' and 'index' are set for you and should be available during each iteration with the correct value.

Sample
Code:
Io> list(6,7,8,9) foreach(i,j , i println)
==> 3
Io> list(6,7,8,9) foreach(i,j , j println)
==> 9
Io> list(6,7,8,9) foreach(i, i println)

you could try to print i type inside the foreach loop like

Code:
Number getSlots foreach(i, i type println)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:20:24 pm by kidd » Logged

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2009, 03:22:16 pm »

Thanks Kidd, I'll noodle around with that a bit and report back...

switching language gears a second...

Do you happen to use active perl or strawberry on win?  If so, which do you prefer?

cheers
- H

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:06 pm »

I use linux at work too, so I haven't used windows in a while.

I used active perl some years ago, but I think strawberry perl is closer to the origina linux implementation.

Adam Kennedy (a great perl hacker) is doing some great stuff with strawberry perl lately. Don't know much more related to that though

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: