VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 11:37:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: amarok  (Read 2650 times)
fox

« on: March 10, 2009, 06:13:19 pm »

I seem to be having music troubles in VL6, although this one is less serious than rhythmbox not starting at all.  When starting Amarok, I get the following error message: Could not open network socket.  Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!"  If I dismiss the message, Amarok starts, but how can I get rid of the annoying message?

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
fox

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:30 pm »

Never mind; figured that one out on my own - dcop = dhcp.  When I installed it and logged out then in, the message disappeared.  But again, I don't understand why this program wasn't installed along with Amarok if it's a dependency.  Am I wrong in assuming that gslapt works like synaptic in Debian/Ubuntu, installing all dependencies with the requested program?  Sorry, this is my first experience with a Slackware-related distro.

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:07:06 pm »

Fox: dcop is part of kdelibs, it has nothing to do with dhcp as far as I know. Kdelibs is listed as a dep for the amarok packages in the repo.
You are correct assuming that gslapt should solve dependencies for you as synaptic i other distros. Are you downloading the packages manually?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
fox

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:01:07 am »

rbistolfi, I'm almost certain I used gslapt to get Amarok.  I know I didn't download it from some a source other than the depositories.  The only other possibility is that I acquired it as a result of something else I downloaded from the repository.  Perhaps the best thing to do would be to reload it.

The version I have is 1.4 and I know that there is a 2.0.  Would it be a mistake to download it from outside the repository?

As for the dcop, the dhcp file may not be the correct dependency, but it did stop the annoying message.  Still, I think the best thing would be to reload it to make sure I have all the necessary files.  The reason I asked about the operation of gslapt is because I have a worse problem with my music player of choice - rhythmbox.  In this case, I'm 100% certain I downloaded it using gslapt and it won't even start up.  But as you suggested in your other post, I will check my sources.

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 12:19:57 pm »

If you dont use gslapt the dependencies will not be solved. I would recommend to stay with Amarok 1.4 for now, I understand 2.0 is for KDE4 and we are still working in those packages (uelsk8s is working on them actually Smiley)

As for rhythmbox, I dont know what to say, it is working here, I will give it another try when I get home from work to see if I can reproduce your problem somehow.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:32:44 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
fox

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »

When I looked at dependencies in gslapt for Amarok and Rhythmbox, there were none listed.  So I uninstalled both apps and then reinstalled them.  After that the dependencies showed.  I don't understand what the problem was before; I'm sure I installed one if not both from gslapt before.  Could it be that I didn't reload sources before installing?

At any rate, both programs now start up, although Rhythmbox doesn't work so well.  First it doesn't load Jamendo, Magnitune or Cover Art plugins.  Second, there seems to be a 5 second delay before it plays anything.  Initially, it wouldn't play mp3's or mp4's either, but I changed the gstreamer plugins (with gslapt) from those with vl60 suffixes to those with gsb suffixes.  Any idea why these problems with Rhythmbox?

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »

When I looked at dependencies in gslapt for Amarok and Rhythmbox, there were none listed.  So I uninstalled both apps and then reinstalled them.  After that the dependencies showed.  I don't understand what the problem was before; I'm sure I installed one if not both from gslapt before.  Could it be that I didn't reload sources before installing?

It's possible. Some development has been going on in the gsb repository and maybe your sources were not up to date.

At any rate, both programs now start up, although Rhythmbox doesn't work so well.  First it doesn't load Jamendo, Magnitune or Cover Art plugins.  Second, there seems to be a 5 second delay before it plays anything.  Initially, it wouldn't play mp3's or mp4's either, but I changed the gstreamer plugins (with gslapt) from those with vl60 suffixes to those with gsb suffixes.  Any idea why these problems with Rhythmbox?

Sorry I never really used it. I will make some time to check it out. I would guess that the missing functionality is provided by extra optional packages. If you know what are them I could add them to the dependency list. I will investigate a bit more.

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:33:07 pm »

It is working here after installing some gstreamer plugins, gst-base and he others with names starting with gst.
Give it a try. Jamendo is cool, it does take a bit of time to load here, but maybe I am just too far from the server.
Do you think this should be installed by default with rhythmbox? I could add them to the list of dependencies.

EDIT: Hey, Magnatune is cool too, I am listening some baroque now.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:41:03 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: