VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 12:49:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Boot to black screen - was vlinstall.iso  (Read 3414 times)
Irritated

« on: March 12, 2009, 11:51:21 am »

Well, I might concede that installing a linux distro is marginally easier than finding an appropriate girlfriend Wink

I now manage to boot into command line with init 3
Can run vasm and change various options
Have read various threads and tried various options, still no x
DSL needs fb1240x768 to run x
fb and fbdev don't seem to work on VL
machine doesn't seem to like vesa
Video would seem to be s3 virge mx capable of running up to 1280x1024 24bit true colour

When it goes into black screen mode the only thing I seem able to do is switch off and switch on again.

Anybody got any clever ideas?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:18:24 pm »

I have yet to see a system in which X doesn't run...
There has to be a driver that can make your hardware work.

Which version of VL did you install??

Irritated

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:36:02 pm »

Hi

I have VL6.0-STD-Gold. I am absolutely sure you are right. DSL x works on the machine. I imagine I may need to be setting something up manually but wouldn't really know where to start.

Oh, btw, I don't seem to have an etc/X11 directory, and I didn't install LiLo as I already have grub. Couldn't find xorg.config. VL is on the bootable partition.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:02:15 pm »

Perhaps running init 2, to go into textmode, then login and type "startx"...
maybe there's a way to see what messages you get.

Of course, if you just get a black screen then no messages, either.
Is it possible to switch to a virtual terminal using Ctrl-Alt-F1? If you can do that after running "startx" you would be able to see what was going on in the console.

(also Ctrl-Alt-F2 for another virtual terminal, from which you could perhaps kill X and not have to reboot)

The config file should be in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Irritated

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:15:48 pm »

From a 'How To' I did find a way into xorgconfig and went through and set up for the S3 Virge (generic). Startx from the prompt just takes me to black screen, only option to switch off and start again.

Normal boot, oh, was making a few attempts to start x, failing and inviting me to view log files. Now it doesn't, just goes to black screen.

Presumably someone knows what these log files would be called and, presumably, I could load up via DSL and go find them and try to post them?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 04:46:02 pm »

Assuming you can log in to command line (and maybe got your /etc/X11 populated), try running command "vxconf", choose the "vesa" driver. If that functions, you can work upwards from there.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:28:16 pm »

Presumably someone knows what these log files would be called and, presumably, I could load up via DSL and go find them and try to post them?

The log files are in /var/log. Some can't be accessed except by root.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Irritated

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:32:39 pm »

I have done a complete reinstall, adding a little extra experience, still no joy. Tried the vesa option through vxconf, no luck.

I'm booting from the cd as I haven't set up grub. I have included LiLo this time, on hda2, bootable partition where VL is installed.

I'm wondering if I should be trying passing boot options as a way to finding out what might be inhibiting x, any likely contenders to try? (noapic made no difference)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 07:48:34 am »

The file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Edit that file and change the line Driver "s3" to Driver "vesa"

I have found problems with the Slackware version of the s3 driver. Perhaps that is your problem.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Irritated

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 09:08:07 am »

I went into xorg.conf and found

Section "Device"
      Identifier "VESA Framebudder"
      Driver     "vesa"
      #VideoRam 4096
      #Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier  "Screen 1"
       Device     "VESA Framebuffer"
       Monitor    "My Monitor
       DefaultDepth 24

Frankly, I think VL has to get dumped. It isn't going to work or is going to consume too much time to get anything worthwhile, much as I think the community puts in an excellent effort and I simply wouldn't expect this kind of response from any other community. The information I read about the system looked as though it might have worked well for my project but the reality is, DSL loads and runs. Ok it will take some effort to get it to some kind of usable format, but at least I will be working on something that has a functional base, however crappy I might think it right now.

Thanks for everybodies efforts and generosity and buen suerte Wink
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:33:09 am »

Did you at least try lagagnon's suggestion of using vasm?

You ovbiously have given up on it, so if you prefer the old 2.4 kernel that DSL ships with, go ahead... it's your system. Your choose to take your security risks over spending a little time to get a rock solid system on. Your call.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 10:10:39 am »

We won't keep anybody against their will.   Tongue

.. but DefaultDepth 16 may work ..
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 10:12:32 am »

There are so many things he can try, but like you said... you gotta be willing to give the OS a chance.
Let's not forget that most of the hardware out there is "designed for Wind OS XXXXXX" meaning... "we only think of microsoft when designing this"

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:01:36 pm »

Jim (irritated) has certainly given VL6 a good chance on his system.  If you start back on his previous thread which then leads to this thread, I can totally see why he's thrown in the towel.  Most folks don't put in a quarter the effort Jim has (Cariboo was an exception - he also went to great lengths to get VL59 working on his system).  Like one of our members has said "not all distros work on all systems" - obviously, VL6 is not overly compatible with Jim's system.  Also, it looks like kernel 2.4.x was last updated in December which means it's not that far behind in terms of last updates.  FUD is rarely a good way to persuade folks - in fact, it generally accomplishes the opposite.  If VL is to be a general purpose, general audience distro then we should be better equiped to deal with situations like Jim's.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

I'm actually with newtor on this one.  Yes, we've had people who gave up without really trying.  Jim/irritated isn't one of them.

What he has experienced with VL I've seen with the major distros on some older equipment as well.  When someone sticks with us it does allow the devs to correct problems eventually.  OTOH, most people actually need to have their systems working within a reasonable period of time.

I have seen a number of posts  the web suggesting that VL6 works with less hardware out of the box than VL 5.9 rather than more.  I tend to believe that is largely because of upstream changes.  I know that the VL devs went a long way to get VL 6 working on netbooks, on my old Toshiba laptop, and on any other hardware someone who helped test the distro had.

In fairness VL is in a catch-22.  We don't have a huge user community like Ubuntu and Fedora nor do we have a large corporation backing us and providing a testing lab.  That means more hardware is going to slip through the cracks in terms of being tested and getting problems ironed out.  OTOH, the fact that there are going to be hardware issues means we will have trouble getting some users to use VL.  It's a problem all smaller distros face.  Oh, and no, I don't have a solution.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: