VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 02:45:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Wanted: Gslapt  (Read 1495 times)
s3kt0r

« on: March 13, 2009, 07:39:42 pm »

Ok, I'm going to post this in this section, after all I am a Vectorbie, am I not? Maybe someone is feeling the frustration I'm feeling.
Just a few minutes ago, I booted my laptop into Vector (which is, btw, the only system I have installed), and was going to check gslapt to uninstall emerald, when I open the System Menu and look for Gslapt entry, I don't find it. Already suspicious, I try to find it again, second eye sweep. Nothing. Open up term, command not found. What? How can this be? I didn't do anything to the system, changed menus or something, nothing at all.
Now I don't have a package manager. I'm frustrated with this, because last time I shut the laptop down, it WAS working, aside some other app problems and bugs, in a very much perfect way.

Anyone??

Edit: Well, I stopped whining and went looking for slapt-get and gslapt. Also needed, not sure why, gpgme, installed it, rebooted, copied /etc/slapt-getrc to another dir (just in case), and installed slapt-get. Rechecked /etc/slapt-getrc mirrors, all good.
After thinking about installing gslapt from source, decided to install it through slapt-get.

Code:
slapt-get -i gslapt-0.5.1-i586-1vl60 slapt-update-notifier-0.4.1-i586-1vl60

Then, slapt-get asks for (I had already installed slapt-get and gpgme  Huh):

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  curl libksba pth gnupg2 gpgme slapt-get gslapt slapt-update-notifier

I now have gslapt working again and under the System Menu, but now it doesn't ask for my root password anymore, got to load it from term. Anybody knows how to fix that one?

Not sure why it happened in the first place, if any more data/output is needed just let me know, but the 'workaround' did (half) the trick.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:56:21 pm by s3kt0r » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:49:39 pm »

This is a very odd circumstance.

I'd start with this in the terminal.
$ slapt-get --search gslapt

You should see something like this...
gslapt-0.4.0-i586-1gsb [inst=no]: gslapt (GTK slapt-get, an APT like system for Slackware)
gslapt-0.5.1-i586-1vl60 [inst=yes]: gslapt (GTK slapt-get, an APT like system for Slackware)
slapt-update-notifier-0.4.1-i586-1vl60 [inst=yes]: slapt-update-notifier (Daemon which notifies about package updates)

This is the line you are hoping to see..
gslapt-0.5.1-i586-1vl60 [inst=yes]: gslapt (GTK slapt-get, an APT like system for Slackware)

This means gslapt is installed it's just has a piece of it deleted (I'm guessing)

If so run this command as root.
slapt-get --install --reinstall gslapt-0.5.1-i586-1vl60

This should reinstall gslapt from the repository.  Let me know if it works out.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
s3kt0r

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:25:14 pm »

Thanks for replying stretchedthin, but maybe you have not seen the edit ?

I now already have gslapt installed, used those steps you mentioned, but now the only problem (not really, I can start it from term) is that it doesn't start if I open it from the menu, it doesn't even show the dialog for the root passwd.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:27:19 pm »

Judging by your edit. I missed you with my reply by just a few minutes.

Open /usr/share/applications in mousepad or medit as root.
You may see two files for gslapt if its right, one will just be called Gslapt the other will be called Gslapt Package Manager.

But after your reinstall you may have two both called Gslapt Package Manager.
Rename one to Gslapt.
Open the .desktop file for gslapt.

What does the 'Exec=' line say.

It should say 'vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt'

I'm guessing you have to add the vsuper part.   

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:53:55 am »

...is that it doesn't start if I open it from the menu, it doesn't even show the dialog for the root passwd.

What happens when you try to launch gslapt from the console?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
s3kt0r

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 09:20:52 am »

Judging by your edit. I missed you with my reply by just a few minutes.

Open /usr/share/applications in mousepad or medit as root.
You may see two files for gslapt if its right, one will just be called Gslapt the other will be called Gslapt Package Manager.

But after your reinstall you may have two both called Gslapt Package Manager.
Rename one to Gslapt.
Open the .desktop file for gslapt.

What does the 'Exec=' line say.

It should say 'vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt'

I'm guessing you have to add the vsuper part.   

Hi,

I have 2 files starting with gslapt, gslapt.desktop and gslapt-kde.desktop. Tried inserting vsuper before /usr/sbin/gslapt, saving file, and then clicking on menu entry to see if it worked, it didn't. It still doesn't start up gslapt from the xfce system menu.
If I enter vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt on CLI, it works like a charm, it requests root passwd and then it loads up gslapt.

@ lagagnon, it just complains about some pango errors, something to do with Invalid utf-8 string passed on to pango_layout_set, other than that it works like it should, I guess.

Thanks a lot for yer help Smiley

Edit: I got it now. From stretchedthin post, I understood that should only be in /usr/share/applications only one entry related to gslapt. So, I just moved gslapt-kde.desktop (is that ok??) from /usr/share/applications to somewhere else, leaving just that previously altered gslapt.desktop. It now loads up when I click it on the menu.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:32:20 am by s3kt0r » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: