VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 08:12:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Visual Basic programming  (Read 8670 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »

I am looking for a Visual Basic programming IDE program. I have already tried gambas2 but I really need something where I can program in Visual Basic not just something like it.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/visual-basic-for-linux.html

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 03:39:35 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like "Mono" just compiles existing VB source code so that it will run on Linux. I was really looking for something where I could write my own code. Something like gambas2 but one that uses real Visual Basic.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:12:21 pm »

Visual Basic is a real Microsoft thing.  Microsoft generally doesn't allow any of their products to be licensed for Linux.  I'm not at all sure that what you want even exists.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:50:47 pm »

Daniel: I just checked www.winehq.com and apparently, depending on what version of VB you have it might work under Wine:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=94

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:16:38 am »

Perhaps kbasic can fit your needs? I don't know, I'm not much of a basic-head. Anyways, I remembered seeing this some time ago.

http://kbasic.com/index.html

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 05:10:18 pm »

Well from looking at the website, it looks like it's what I was looking for. Thanks! But... I downloaded the version for Linux from the website, installed it, clicked on the icon on the desktop... And nothing happened. I tried to run it from the terminal and got this error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libQtWebKit.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I looked on the website again and found the list of dependencies. The libQtWebKit.so.4 was one of them. I then looked in the repositories on Gslapt and found two different "Qt" libraries "Qt" and "Qt4". I am not sure which (if either) I need to get. Help?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:12:44 pm »

That would be Qt4. You will probably need to do a symlink if the version number of the installed library is different, for example:

Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/qt-4.5.0/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4.5.0 /usr/lib/qt-4.5.0/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:00:18 am »

So if the version number is different, I just type that line of code into a console?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 06:18:57 am »

Have you looked into Mono's .NET support?

http://www.mono-project.com/VisualBasic.NET_support

AFAIK, there are no IDEs for VB in linux... you'll find a lot of clones and VB-like languages and IDE's, but not the real thing..

Another option to try would be some win IDE via wine.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 06:26:11 am »

Yes, I looked at that but the KBasic thing appears to be close enough to VB for me to be able to use it. And now it looks like I just have to download that library to get it to work but I just want to make sure that if the version number is different I just need to type that line of code that rbistolfi gave me into the console to do the symlink. (see previous post) So is that all I need to do to make the symlink?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 06:27:57 am »

yes.. that will make a symlink

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 07:43:59 am »

Ok, I downloaded the Qt4 library, tried to run KBasic again and again it didn't work so the version number is probably different. I looked on the KBasic website again and found that the libQtWebKit.so.4 is supposed to go in:

/usr/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4

Does that mean that it needs to be in a folder named libQtWebkit.so.4 in /usr/lib/ ? Right now it is in: /usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/lib/

In /usr/lib/qt-4.4.1/lib/   it has the shared library libQtWebKit.so.4.4.1 and two links to that library. The links are called libQtWebKit.so.4 and libQtWebKit.so.4.4

Help?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:23:17 am »

Are you executing the binary or are you building the source code?

if you build the source code, it should pick up the libs from the right place.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:02 am »

daniel, you could put in a request to have kbasic built for VL6.  There is a package request forum for purposes such as this.  Most times the requests are answered pretty quickly, but it comes down to the volunteers available time.  FWIW.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: