VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 09:01:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Visual Basic programming  (Read 8008 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 10:37:52 am »

I might do that but is there any way that I can get my current installation to work?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:39 pm »

That's why I asked you... did you download the source code and are trying to compile it or did you download the binary package and are you just trying to run it?

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 12:55:42 pm »

Oh, sorry, I missed your earlier post. I guess I downloaded the binary package because I know I didn't try to compile source code. I just clicked the link on the website that downloaded the version for Linux.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:52 pm »

I downloaded the source here.. there is building instructions on their website, but I had to abort the build because it was sucking up all my CPU power which I needed for work... but seems like it will build

You should try it

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 01:19:37 pm »

I'm afraid I don't completely understand how to build things. I found those instructions you mentioned on the website but it looks like you download some KDevelop projects and then build those? Also, is there any way to fix the installation I already have or would I be better off to just uninstall it and build it and install it again?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 01:21:31 pm »

Well, yes...

It depends on a lot of KDE stuff
QT4 and stuff like that

You must have those dependencies met before you can run either the binary or the compiled source code.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 08:43:13 am »

I requested KBasic in the New Package Requests section of the forum but just so I know, would I use vpackager to build a package from source?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 09:03:51 am »

vpackager will not build that..

That is a weird ting to build... I tried it, but it failed.... I dont have much time to tinker with it to much... but it sure looks like an interesting challange.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 09:52:38 am »

In the source codes area of the KBasic site it has a bash script that is says will compile all three parts of KBasic if run. Would that be the thing to use then?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 09:58:59 am »

yes.. I tried building it with the script they provide

but it got me nowhere
except it was sucking up 100% of my dual core 3.0GHZ CPU and 100% of my 2GB of ram and 80% of my 2GB of swap space.

That thing is a hog.

And then it failed to build... so, like I said... it's quite the pickle.

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 10:14:59 am »

They also mentioned that the package contained three KDevelop projects and the source code. (see below)

Linux

The following package contains three projects for KDevelop with complete source codes:

kbc - the compiler (only C++ program without Qt usage)
      kbide - the IDE (with Qt usage)
      kbrun - the runtime and intepreter (with Qt usage)

Available under the terms of the GNU Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation (Version 3): http://www.kbasic.com/kbasic_linux_sourcecode.tar.gz (V1.87)

Does that mean that something is supposed to be put into KDevelop and then compiled using the KDevelop compiler?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:25 am »

I imagine you'd have to get all 3 of them .
The kbc would be the language itself.
the kbide would be your IDE (Integrated Development Environment)
kbrun would be your runtime and interpreter for yor programs to actually run. This interprets the code provided by the kbc and translates it into something the linux system can understand.

You cannot put anything into kdevelop. (well, technically taht's wrong.. but that's a whole nother discussion)
your IDE has the compiler...

But then again, I've never done a BASIC programming... so I'm just shooting in the air here...
That's why I've gone gambas Wink

No ... but seriously... if you want pure basic dude, you may be out of luck here... I know that's not what you wanted to find out, but put BASIC is just not the most common language in linux.
I'd migrate to somethin glike mono-VB or gambas since the syntax is really next to the same... or find a way to run VB in wine.

The problem with running VB under wine is that ... well.... You'll be developing windows software... which is not good in linux. Wink

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 03:38:57 pm »

I might be able to get it working though if I could get those dependencies installed in the right place. I tried creating the symlink to the dependency that first showed up for me as an error message (see earlier posts in this thread) and then tried to run the program again in the console and got this error message: "error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4: cannot read file data: Error 21" So what does that mean?

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:24 pm »

I also tried to run the bash script provided on the website but I kept getting errors every time. Which directory am I supposed to run it in?

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 07:27:35 pm »

I'll mention another basic.
If you don't mind using proprietary software (which I reckon you don't, as you want to develop in VB), then RealBasic might do the trick... simple installation, free (as in beer) for linux, and cross-platform.

I don't know how different it is from VB, and it has disadvantage of you having to pay for the Windows version (or for a Professional version that allows you to cross-compile).

I've used it before and liked it. Instead of paying more for the Professional version, I ended up downloading the Linux one for free, and when I needed to compile for Windows, I bought the Windows version, and opened/compiled the same code.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: