VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 01:20:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Visual Basic programming  (Read 8128 times)
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 07:46:14 am »

I would really like to fix the program I already have but since you mentioned it, when you install RealBasic, does it install all the dependancies as well?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 11:09:08 am »

I would really like to fix the program I already have but since you mentioned it, when you install RealBasic, does it install all the dependancies as well?

It has no dependencies. I mean, nothing that you don't already have in your system.
It's just download and install:
http://www.realsoftware.com/store/

As you can see there, the Linux version costs nothing.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 12:13:56 pm »

RealBasic looks pretty good but I checked the system requirements for it. Minimum RAM is 1GB and Minimum CPU speed is 1GHz. My machine has 256MB of RAM and an 850MHz processor. So, thanks, but can I have some help on fixing KBasic?

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 12:21:52 pm »

the Kbasic thing is not too friendly with the older hardware either requiring QT 4.4 and newer.
I'm about out of bullets on the kbasic thing

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 01:57:17 pm »

VL6 Standard Gold + KDE4 + KBasic binary professional installer = working

I just tested this and kbasic starts fine, however depending on how you install kbasic you may need to clean up .desktop files and move accordingly.  Regardless, I just test running from terminal and it worked fine.  The gpl/commercial dual-licensing is confusing to me, but since I just wanted to test the installation I don't really care.

Summary: It works in VL6+KDE4.  Nothing special needs to be done to install the (professional) binary.

Hope this helps!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 03:05:41 pm »

Does that mean that VL6 (or KDE4) has all the correct dependencies installed in the right places already?

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 04:12:49 pm »

Does that mean that VL6 (or KDE4) has all the correct dependencies installed in the right places already?
I would *assume* that to be the case since the program runs, but will hold back from saying "definitively yes."  I would venture a guess that a stock VL6 Standard Gold install may provide a few of the dependencies and that the remainder are provided when installing KDE4.  Keep in mind the KDE4 is still in the 'testing' repository which means that it may do unwanted things to your system.  Again, since I was just testing (via virtual machine) to see if the binary installer worked I did not determine my overall system configuration after the KDE4+KBasic installation.  I know that XFCE and KBasic were working though.

Hope this helps!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 04:44:48 pm »

The version of KDE 4.2.1 in the testing repository is not ready for prime time.  It will cause breakage.  kdm/gdm will be broken after install for certain.  The only confirmed working version at this point is 4.2 on the second Deluxe CD.  As soon as we have a working version of KDE 4.2.1 for general consumption it will be announced.  The developers are working on it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »

The version of KDE 4.2.1 in the testing repository is not ready for prime time.  It will cause breakage.  kdm/gdm will be broken after install for certain.  The only confirmed working version at this point is 4.2 on the second Deluxe CD.  As soon as we have a working version of KDE 4.2.1 for general consumption it will be announced.  The developers are working on it.

Thanks for the input. This is great information for Daniel to hear prior to any major package installations.  I prefer the text user interface login so did not experience any problems with kdm/gdm, but this would be a valid concern for most users.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 04:22:51 am »

i might also add that i tried this on a machine with kde4 and still no joy

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: