VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 07:07:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Vector Linux  (Read 1665 times)
GoodFoodHunting

He shoots! He... damn...!! Where's the beer?

« on: March 18, 2009, 08:48:56 pm »

Howdy ya' all!  I'm an expat Canadian living in Houston, Texas.  I have just ordered the latest version of Vector and am looking forward to it's arrival by mail soon.

Hopefully it will help revive my old HP desktop.  Vector is not the first flavour of linux I've used, I have installed a few flavours of Ubuntu, one OpenSuse 11.1 (the experiance I'm sure was the fault of my machine and me and hopefully not an indication of OpenSuse overall... Undecided ) and lately with Linux Mint.

I'd have to say I was most happy with Ubuntu and am quite happy with Linux Mint.  No complaints really there but they are not a perfect match with my old war-wagon and my lack of computer programming experiance.  So... I'm taking a plunge deep into Vector and I look forward to the successes and yes, even the challenges that are sure to come.

I may not know everything about computers but I can read, I love the concept AND application of opensource and I don't mind tinkering around a problem until I get it right.

I will be dual-booting with Windows XP and will ask questions about that in a seperate threat since this is for introductions not big questions.

I'll be lurking around until then, talk to ya'all later eh'?

~ Kevin

If you really want to know about me just ask.  If I really want to answer you, I will.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:44:04 am »

I am sorry to hear that you are dual booting and sorrier that you now find yourself in Texas.  Why anyone would relocate from beautiful Canada to the land of Bush escapes me. Perhaps you were kidnapped or drugged? 

Anyway, a thousand welcomes to VL.   I know nothing of Mint or OpenSuse.  However, though Red Hat is excellent, your decision to look to VL for your old HP is probably a wise one.  Red Hat can be a bit resource-intensive.  Plus, the wonderful VL folks/advisors on this forum are unlikely to be on Red Hat. 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:29:49 am »

Welcome to VL - if you run into a snag or to think you will find this forum friendly and helpful.

Dave Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:44:38 am »

Welcome to VL fellow Houstonian!

Nice to know I'm not the only VL user in the area.
Well, I live in Fresno, work in Stafford. But still close enough.

Welcome to VL ... Hope you like it

GoodFoodHunting

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 05:05:10 am »

Cool... Grin  Grin I'm grateful for the warm welcome and I will definitely take you all up on your offers of free advice from time to time should the need arise.  By the way, I live just between Bellaire and West University (for my fellow Houstonian, well, more like my fellow Harris Countian... Cheesy ) I'm glad to be here!

P.S. ~ Anyone know if VL and fire-wire webcams get along?  If not, I'm sure I can do a quicky-search.

If you really want to know about me just ask.  If I really want to answer you, I will.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:24 am »

I am sorry to hear that you are dual booting and sorrier that you now find yourself in Texas.

Cheesy Here's a sentence that you wouldn't usually find anywhere...

Anyway, welcome aboard, GoodFoodHunting. Hope you enjoy.
I've never tried a Firewire webcam, only usb ones... I'm sure somebody will be able to help, though.

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:06 am »

Why anyone would relocate from beautiful Canada to the land of Bush escapes me. Perhaps you were kidnapped or drugged? 

Maybe he likes his women with big hair, a bible and a pickup truck?    Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GoodFoodHunting

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:07:46 pm »

Naaa... not that.  Although my wife DOES work in a church we are both sure that if I place my hands on a bible or get doused with holy water that spells "the end" for me...  Cheesy  No, currently I am a Juvenile Probation Officer but I came down here because we figured that I could take the heat better than she could take the cold.

And years later she was sent to some northern cities like Baltimore and Boston (a previous job of hers) and arrived just in time for one of those famous late-year snow storms and cold snaps that periodically sweep the Northeast USA and the Great Lakes region of Canada.  Guess what?  She found out she likes the cold.   Shocked

And so if we only knew then what we know now...   Roll Eyes  I'd still be using Linux, that's what!  LOL!   Grin

Thanks for the warm welcome folks!  Ya' all are friendly-like I see...  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: