VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Mini-PC  (Read 1476 times)

N7ETA

Mini-PC
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:56 am »

I am somewhat of a newbie, please help. The pc described below will be a dedicated pc for weather equipment (home) and amateur radio packet.
I have found a small PC which is 800 MHz CPU - 512M ram and 80G HD. This unit has 2 USB ports (non-bootable), 2 serial ports and Ethernet. There is no CD or Floppy connection. I have pulled the HD and have made a USB connection to my main computer (XP). The HD has 6G Fat32, 1G Linux Swap and 73G Linux partitions.
I have loaded the ISO (uncompressed) onto the Fat partition.

My question is how do I make the drive bootable for installation? ??? Also I want to remove the FAT partition after install is complete.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:52:39 am by N7ETA »

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
Re: Mini-PC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:50:18 am »

What exactly do you mean by: "I have pulled the HD and have made a USB connection to my main computer (XP)." ?
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

N7ETA

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:44 am »

I have remove the drive from the mini-PC and put it into an external USB box.

Thanks

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:10:45 am »

Take a look at this instructions:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

If you install in the Xp box you will have to configure the system in the target box, that worked for me in the past.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

N7ETA

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:36 am »

Thanks, I am reading the link, and it seems that I need to install from the "C" drive on the Xp system. I was hoping that I could load the ISO to the "G" drive (Mini-PC HD in USB box), make the "G" drive bootable and then put the drive back in the Mini-PC and boot the HD to install (if this is possible).

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:51:07 am »

You might be able to burn the iso to the drive just like you would burn an iso to a cd and then boot from the drive like that.

N7ETA

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:02:36 am »

I tried that using CDburnerXP, but it would not see the "G" drive as a CD. Is there other software that will burn an ISO to a HD like a CD?

Thanks

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:06:20 am »

Could you burn the iso to a cd and then copy the contents of the burned cd to the drive?

N7ETA

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:59 am »

Yes I have copied a CD to the drive in the FAT partition, but the drive will not boot when I reinstalled to the Mini-PC

lagagnon

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:57:36 am »

To do what you want to do you should use loadlin under Windblows or vinstall.iso under Linux. It is all explained in our Installation Guide:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win
"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll