VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:38:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini-PC  (Read 1166 times)
N7ETA

« on: March 18, 2009, 07:41:56 am »

I am somewhat of a newbie, please help. The pc described below will be a dedicated pc for weather equipment (home) and amateur radio packet.
I have found a small PC which is 800 MHz CPU - 512M ram and 80G HD. This unit has 2 USB ports (non-bootable), 2 serial ports and Ethernet. There is no CD or Floppy connection. I have pulled the HD and have made a USB connection to my main computer (XP). The HD has 6G Fat32, 1G Linux Swap and 73G Linux partitions.
I have loaded the ISO (uncompressed) onto the Fat partition.

My question is how do I make the drive bootable for installation? Huh Also I want to remove the FAT partition after install is complete.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:52:39 am by N7ETA » Logged
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:50:18 am »

What exactly do you mean by: "I have pulled the HD and have made a USB connection to my main computer (XP)." ?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
N7ETA

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:44 am »

I have remove the drive from the mini-PC and put it into an external USB box.

Thanks
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:10:45 am »

Take a look at this instructions:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

If you install in the Xp box you will have to configure the system in the target box, that worked for me in the past.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
N7ETA

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:48:36 am »

Thanks, I am reading the link, and it seems that I need to install from the "C" drive on the Xp system. I was hoping that I could load the ISO to the "G" drive (Mini-PC HD in USB box), make the "G" drive bootable and then put the drive back in the Mini-PC and boot the HD to install (if this is possible).

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:07 am »

You might be able to burn the iso to the drive just like you would burn an iso to a cd and then boot from the drive like that.

N7ETA

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:02:36 am »

I tried that using CDburnerXP, but it would not see the "G" drive as a CD. Is there other software that will burn an ISO to a HD like a CD?

Thanks
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:06:20 am »

Could you burn the iso to a cd and then copy the contents of the burned cd to the drive?

N7ETA

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:59 am »

Yes I have copied a CD to the drive in the FAT partition, but the drive will not boot when I reinstalled to the Mini-PC
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:57:36 am »

To do what you want to do you should use loadlin under Windblows or vinstall.iso under Linux. It is all explained in our Installation Guide:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#iso_win

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: