VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 08:13:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Deluxe 6.0 nvidia driver  (Read 2350 times)
tncanuck

« on: March 17, 2009, 04:48:13 pm »

I have purchased Vector Linux 6.0 Deluxe because I tried VL6.0 standard gold and got it to work ( I think?) on my hardware. I also used VL5.9 Standard Gold before, liked it and wanted to contribute to this project. I think it is a great distro, and enjoy using it. Really brings to life PCs “past their prime”. Slackware, but better.

I hate to rain on the parade,  but I did have to call for support using my 14 days, and we were successful in identifying the problem: video card driver causing the system to freeze. I did installation using the graphical installer with both standard and deluxe.

Looking on the nvidia site for the proper driver for my card,  (nvidia GeForce2 GTS AGP card) one can read: Graphics Drivers :Linux IA32 Latest Legacy GPU version (71.86.xx series): 71.86.06. I am surprised that Vector Linux, known for Speed, performance, stability, decided to include a beta driver 71.86.07. It did not work with my hardware, causing my system to freeze, and requiring a reboot every time I opened an application. (example: Gslapt made the system freeze.) I am currently using the nv open source driver, and my CRT monitor has a strange trapezoidal shape. Beats the flickering using vesa.

I wish that I knew how to succesfully install 71.86.06. All my efforts have ended in: “Error: Unable to build nvidia kernel module.” I am hoping the beta driver is to blame. I also understand that the 06 driver is not supported by VL 6.0 Deluxe.

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:33 pm »

I wish that I knew how to succesfully install 71.86.06. All my efforts have ended in: “Error: Unable to build nvidia kernel module.”

I suppose you installed the kernel source, right?
That's my only guess so far, sorry...
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

the 71.86.06 will have to be patched to work with the kernel in 6.0
tncanuck

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:53:07 pm »

It was a custom install (was already selected by default) but it had all boxes checked, I did not uncheck any. I do recall seeing a box for the kernel source that was checked. As far as patching the driver 71.86.06, I am computer litterate, but linux defficient... Wink

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:44:18 pm »

the 71.86.06 will have to be patched to work with the kernel in 6.0
Is there a "how-to" on this somewhere?  Smiley
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:17:36 am »

here are patch and instructions: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=120971
tncanuck

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:51:02 pm »

Thanks, I will give it a shot next chance I have. In my part of the world, it is already time for summer yard work...

tncanuck

tncanuck

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 06:04:19 am »

The patch did work, and then the kernel module did build. After that, I started vasm to get back my gui boot mode, rebooted. I must have missed a step along the way because what I got was a screen with the VL logo at the lower right, and a lot of text. Never made it to the GUI. Rebooted several times, same result. I glanced at the messages, but they did not make sense. Something about a SCSI drive sector not found. I use IDE drives on this old cat. Out of desperation, I did a complete reinstall. I must have broken the system or corrupted something. So back to the open source nvidia driver.

I think I will stay put and wait for an updated nvidia driver 71xx to show up in the repository.

tncanuck

tncanuck

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:32:06 am »

Stop the press!

Maybe someone smarter than me will pick up on this. I hate to keep on adding to my own posts, but it is a work in progress. I hope it may benifit the community.

I re-installed the system as I mentioned before. But this time I went back to VL6.0 STD Gold. I did expert install and chose again nvidia-71.86.07, realizing it is a beta driver. But I did confirm my previous observations.

This time everything works. The only thing that will bring the system to a halt now is starting Opera. With standard gold 6.0, I can use gslapt, the extras CD from Deluxe (I made it work) WICD manager works. None of this worked for me under Deluxe 6.0. I was just watching the news on MSNBC in Firefox. I would think this would be demanding on the video driver. And the screen now fills the entire CRT!

tncanuck

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:41:35 am »

The only thing that will bring the system to a halt now is starting Opera.

I use Opera all the time under VL6 without probs. Please run opera from a terminal and tell us if you get error messages.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
tncanuck

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:34:21 am »

From a terminal or not, Opera starts fine, no error message. The problem is once it is up, the entire system becomes unresponsive. Mouse cursor still moves around the screen. Ctrl+Alt+Esc does nothing. Cannot right click anything. Even the VL Menu button in the lower left corner of the screen is dead. Only thing left to do is reboot. We traced the problem under paid support to the nvidia 71.86.07 beta video driver.

tncanuck

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: