VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Power Manager / Battery charge monitor???  (Read 2678 times)

roxburd

Power Manager / Battery charge monitor???
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:57:55 pm »

Hi,

Running VL6.0 Std on Thinkpad T21.

I don't see any way to get VL to offer me anything at all in terms of monitoring the battery charge while the machine is running on the battery.

Apologies if I've been bumb and missed something. Any pointers much appreciated. I'd just like to know how much charge the battery has left in it so I know when to shutdown / go on mains power.

Also... I haven't figured out if the machine can suspend. I see the VL Quit menu doesn't offer it. Can VL do suspend? Or is it a BIOS function I can enable/trigger somehow?

Thanks,
Dave

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Power Manager / Battery charge monitor???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:09:35 pm »

Right-click on the panel -> add new item -> type in "Battery" -> Select battery icon -> Click "Add" -> Enjoy ;)

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:49:36 pm »

Also... I haven't figured out if the machine can suspend. I see the VL Quit menu doesn't offer it. Can VL do suspend? Or is it a BIOS function I can enable/trigger somehow?

Try this is a terminal, as root:
Code: [Select]
hibernate
or, alternatively to suspend, rather than hibernate:
Code: [Select]
hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/ram.conf
Note that you have to have to tell LILO to use your swap partition to hibernate, if you haven't already... In /etc/lilo.conf, put the "resume=/dev/sda2" in the append line for your Vector boot option. (substituting the device for whatever your swap partition is).

If it works, you can assign those commands to keys, or something like that, to make things easier... for instance, I have the suspend command going when I close the laptop lid.

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:54:47 pm »

Just one more thing: if you have to edit lilo.conf, you need to run lilo -v as root to get the new settings going.