VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 01:18:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light RC1 feedback.  (Read 12580 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:08:45 am »

Cheesy Regarding typ0s: Yea, when you mix together packages by contributors from all over the world, many of them not native English speakers (like myself), you often get non-standard sentence composition. Those who ever read the instruction manuals that accompany your electronic gadgets from China will find much of the same in there. I think we just need to live with it.
Tommy599

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 11:28:29 am »

Yeah, there are websites dedicated to typos, this is my fav: http://engrishfunny.com/  Grin
Maybe I'll contact the folks from pcmanfm.

And another question: when I double-click on an archive and it opens in Xarchiver, if I open the files directly from the archive why does it open in Firefox? I tried a video and a C source code document and they both opened in Firefox. Is this something to do with VL or it's an Xarchiver thing?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:41:11 pm by Tommy599 » Logged

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
kozimodo

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 02:36:31 am »

Try using vasm and change to GDM or XDM and see if it helps.
I finally got a chance to try this and XDM does not have this problem.  GDM would not let me log in at all (session ended in less than 10 seconds error) although I don't know if this is because GDM was not part of my initial install and I installed it later just to test.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:45:10 am by kozimodo » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 04:31:56 am »

I'm wondering if there was a glitch in your x-windows setup, triggering a safeguard in kdm/gdm. Hard to tell, but understand that you can now get logged in and out using xdm? How about if you boot to text mode, then use command "startx"?

As far as automatically running commands on bootup, add them to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local
kozimodo

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 05:07:08 am »

startx works just fine.  I'm not sure what could be wrong with my X setup (it is the installer configured setup).  startx does give me some alsa errors but that's because I need to hand configure sound on this old lappy -- I can't see why that would cause a problem with logging out of kdm.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 05:23:26 am »

I'm somewhat at a loss about this one. You may want to try starting a separate thread here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?board=24.0
Provide as much background information as possible.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:51 am »

And another question: when I double-click on an archive and it opens in Xarchiver, if I open the files directly from the archive why does it open in Firefox? I tried a video and a C source code document and they both opened in Firefox. Is this something to do with VL or it's an Xarchiver thing?

Some research revealed that xarchiver uses a method for determining file types and program association that is not available in VL6 at the time of writing. The packages involved have some security issues, so for now it is safest to leave things as they are.

This is one of the problems with putting together a lightweight solution made from an eclectic collection; you miss out on the advantages of the integration that the big Desktop Environments offer. Still, some of us think it is worth it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 07:08:54 am by nightflier » Logged
Tommy599

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 08:58:21 am »

I see. Well for me it's worth it, it saved an old but otherwise perfectly good laptop! I'm waiting for the final version!  Wink

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
unicyclist

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 04:12:53 pm »

Just saw the notice of the rc1 release. Downloaded and will be installing on my 350mhz machine. Will get back with details on how it went.
Thanks for all the work.

Finally got it installed. Trouble with bad cd. Only problem with installation is that lilo didn't install (on Vector partition), but added Vector to my Debian grub menu and now I'm using Vector Smiley

Being a long time Slackware and IceWM user, you guys have done a great job.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:57:39 am by unicyclist » Logged

IBM Personal Computer 300GL, 350 mhz, 256 megs ram, VL6.0 Lite
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 10:19:53 pm »

Trying to open astime with the flag -label  I get:

failed to load font -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-9-240-*-*-*-*-*-*
astime : warning : the label will not be drawn

How to correct?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 07:13:39 am »

Pita; sorry I lost track of your report about astime in the last-minute shuffle. It looks like a missing legacy font. I thought we had all that covered by including a large number of fonts to satisfy SIAG, but one must have slipped through.

I can't find any reference to astime in the ISO nor the repo. Where did yours come from?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 05:07:10 pm »

Pita; sorry I lost track of your report about astime in the last-minute shuffle. It looks like a missing legacy font. I thought we had all that covered by including a large number of fonts to satisfy SIAG, but one must have slipped through.

I can't find any reference to astime in the ISO nor the repo. Where did yours come from?

Well, I carry astime since a long time it comes from afterstep and I found it of the diffrent clocks
the best for my needs. I have contacts in several time zone, have on my fluxbox menu a time zone entry
which when clicked on opens the small script and shows the astime clock with the time of the paerticular time zone, each in different color and with a label.
Example for CET:
#!/bin/sh
TZ=Europe/Paris astime -geometry 100x100 -label PARIS -lcol goldenrod -standout&

It still works well in VL-5.8 and gives the label and no error.
So may be one can find the answer there.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »

Well, I carry astime since a long time it comes from afterstep and I found it of the different clocks
the best for my needs. I have contacts in several time zone, have on my fluxbox menu a time zone entry
which when clicked on opens the small script and shows the astime clock with the time of the particular time zone, each in different color and with a label.
Example for CET:
#!/bin/sh
TZ=Europe/Paris astime -geometry 100x100 -label PARIS -lcol goldenrod -standout&

It still works well in VL-5.8 and gives the label and no error.
So may be one can find the answer there.

Solved it by adding in the scripts the font flag -fn "-*-times-medium-r-*-*-14-140-*-*-*-*-*-*"

I tried to change it inside the file astime, however, then I get Segmentation fault.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: