VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 10:00:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Shares  (Read 681 times)
davec51

« on: July 25, 2010, 06:18:54 am »

I have VL6.0 installed on a Pentium IV box. It installed uneventfully and works fine, except that I have no idea how to access my shared files on a wired networked Windows XP computer. I have successfully set up to print from the remote printer, and I think I have Samba installed, but I don't know where to go from there. The Samba setup sends me to a hml page that I can't figure out.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:12 am »

This is from a post found from using the search bar.

1. type smbclient -L xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (put the IP or the hostname of your XP system) -U username in your linux console/terminal. Key in the password afterward if it require it.

2. Use the mount command as follows:
# mount -t cifs //ntserver/download -o username=xxx,password=xxx /mnt/xxx

3. Use following command if you are using Old version such as RHEL <=4 or Debian <= 3:
# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=xxx //ntserver/download /mnt/xxx

PS: If you didn't set access control on your XP share folder there is no need to specify the username and password

That should get you going.

Bigpaws
davec51

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:37:51 am »

Thanks, Bigpaws. I followed the procedure you outlined but I still couldn't get access. I think I'm not ready for the Vector prime-time, since I get access with any other Linux system. Too bad.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:46:54 am »

Thanks, Bigpaws. I followed the procedure you outlined but I still couldn't get access. I think I'm not ready for the Vector prime-time, since I get access with any other Linux system. Too bad.

I've found in several instances that, unless you have either a correct /etc/hosts file or a local DNS server, the mount command needs IP addresses instead of machine names. I've also found (no idea why) that combining username/password works better than specifying both separately.

An example:

Code:
mount -t cifs -o user=admin%xxxxxxr //10.1.0.10/backup /mnt/smb

The above only works if the 'backup' directory is already set up as a share.

I have no idea why, but I found the user=<name>%<password> works more reliably than specifying user= and password=

Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: