VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 01:21:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: welcome to VL 6.0  (Read 1175 times)
caballero

« on: March 24, 2009, 12:55:47 am »

I want to thank you for VL 6.0. I think it's a great linux distro, as usual in VL releases, also common speed in Slackware distros. This version has improved in stability, video hardware aceleration, look and feel... and, of course, the new graphic installation tools that is fantastic. Now, I want to ask you how can I access to windows from VL. I know that there is a package with multimedia tools, but is there also one with apache+mysql+php?. As we have now nvidia drivers running, what about video games like cube...

Thanks a lot
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 05:14:13 pm »

When you say "access Windows from VL" do you mean Windows files on a hard drive in the same computer VL is on or Windows files on a networked computer or something else? Assault Cube (if that's what you mean) can be downloaded via Gslapt.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

Cube can be played in VL, as well as many other 3-D games. Of course this depends on how well your system can handle such games too.

apache+mysql+php may not be in one package, but you can search for those in glsapt.

To access your Windows partition, you need to make sure that it is mounting on boot. Use the Vector Control Center for this. Then you can open file manager and go into /mnt/windows (this is only an example, some prefer to name their mount something other than windows).

See you on Cube sometime Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:31:35 pm »

To access your Windows partition, you need to make sure that it is mounting on boot. Use the Vector Control Center for this.

The Windows partition doesn't need to be mounted at boot. It should just be listed in /etc/fstab for convenience. The drive can be mounted manually when you're ready to use it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: