VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 05:55:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow, what a crowd!  (Read 1251 times)
bodfish

« on: March 21, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »

Hey there! I'm currently downloading VL 6.0, and HOPE it's the one for me Grin

I've been using Winduz since, well, I started with a Commodore and DOS was still in Beta!

Anyway, I've tried in vain to migrate to Linux for quite a few years. I've just put together a box out of old stuff, (AMD 2.5 ghz, MSI micro, and a Xfx MX 400 with nVidia chip GF4, 64 megs. and 512 DDR PC2100 Ram.)>

I've also spent the last couple of days installing the following: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Zenwalk, and maybe more!
I've got most of them installed, but the video is always a mess. I read where the new Xorg doesn't play well with the new kernel or something. I always get reverted back to a basic res, which won't do. I've got a flat screen capable of 1080 x 780 or something. It's a 17" View Era, about 3 years old. I also installed an older version of Ubuntu-8.04, and finally got something close to my 1080 using Envy......However, that distro won't hunt for me. Too many problems trying to install a new program. (like, "Hey dude, where IS it, and now what?")

I'm not new to Linux, having tried to migrate for a few years. I actually installed Slackware about 3.0 some years back. Too much trouble to configure, though. I HAD all the Linux book then, but tossed them in a fit of rage. Roll Eyes

So, just wanted to say "Hi!" and let you know I'm giving this one my last shot. The forum and docs are what convinced me. Lotta love, here it seems. I actually LIKED Zenwalk a bit, and hope this one aims to please a little better. I need to brush up on my CLI, any help for a little primer?

Anyway, I see that you guys have a little heart (the old Slack forum guys didn't have a one. Grin

Wish me luck!

bodfish
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »

Hi, bodfish,

Welcome to Vector Linux.  Oh, and yes, good luck!

If the nVidia driver doesn't work out of the box for you please don't give up.  VL has several nVidia drivers included and I think one more in the repo.  Somebody with a similar chipset should be able to get you going if you have just a little bit of patience.

FWIW, I also really like Zenwalk.  The main difference between Zenwalk and VL for me is the community.  The forums here are much more friendly and supportive.

Again, welcome!

All the best,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
bodfish

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 05:46:03 pm »

Thanks, Cait!

I'm currently installing the 6.0 Gold (what is that?) VL on another box. (I have 4 currently:) Good news: It asked me what res I wanted! I replied "1024x780" and it took! Wow!

I really like the partitioning tool included. It's better than PartMagic I usually use for a pre-install. Nice GUI too. I started with a swap of 512m primary, and then added another primary 10G (xfs) for /. The rest I left alone. I hear I may need it for moving stuff later. I hope this works.........

I'll let you know Roll Eyes

bodfish

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:18:13 pm »

Ok, got VL installed. Only one hiccup.

After the install script said it was "done" I took out the Cd and let it re-boot. WRONG.
It loaded a VL screen, and then froze! Ouch! I "almost" came unglued Huh

Anyway, I put the CD back in, did a re-start, and let the CD load. I read the directions. Then I had to enter the partition where VL installed, in order to boot. Good thing I kinda remember the partition labels Grin. I'm glad it was the only distro on the drive, in hda2, cause my swap is on 1.

Anyway, I got back to loading "some things" and it installed my prop nVidia driver just fine. Set up some user accounts, and all is joy. (for now). I had NO idea there was more stuff to do when I took out the CD! It was also quite a shock to go from a nice GUI install to the command line.........whew.

I hadn't used the new wci or whatever for my wifi, but figured it out. It found my net using a USB ASus stick with the Ralink chipset. Got online fine. The screen IS different, and I have to learn some before I customize anything more than Firefox. So far, so good. Time to hit the books, though........

One thought......This distro installed my vid driver in seconds when all the rest sent me circle-jerking all over the planet for days. And then it still didn't work. Even Ubuntu. This is some distro! Any idea where to start my reading?

Thanks!

bodfish
bodfish

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 06:26:21 pm »

Houston, we have a problem..........

Going to the install forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: