VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Strange System Freeze  (Read 1209 times)

Pita

• Vectorian
Strange System Freeze
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:40:34 pm »

When I have opera browser open and open a web page with speed dial and at the same time switch-on my printer my system freezes, keyboard, mouse, clock.

Is there any explanation for such a behaviour?

Printer is connected to an USB port.

The first time I noticed it when I was in VL-6-Light-Beta* testing my printer configuration. I reported it then.
Now it happened twice in my work-box based on VL-6-Light-RC1.

I hate to do it and will try if this will be the case as well in firefox.

Just tried it a few time, no freeze with firefox.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:45:58 pm by Pita »

StrayBit

• Vectorite
Re: Strange System Freeze
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:27:16 am »

I've had a similar situation with Seamonkey:  At some point, usually while trying to change pages, it will freeze.  This was also happening in 5.9 where even the mouse wouldn't work and I had to power off to get usable again.  Fortunately in 6.0, the mouse still works and I can Quit->Restart.  Also, in 6.0, I can select other open programs and work with them to get them closed as well as select from the menu.
Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0

StrayBit

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 09:28:23 am »

I've had a similar situation with Seamonkey:  At some point, usually while trying to change pages, it will freeze.  This was also happening in 5.9 where even the mouse wouldn't work and I had to power off to get usable again.  Fortunately in 6.0, the mouse still works and I can Quit->Restart.  Also, in 6.0, I can select other open programs and work with them to get them closed as well as select from the menu.
Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0

sparkyhall

• Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:22:59 pm »

Probably totally unrelated but I thought I'll post just in case....My P3 750 box with Nvidia Geforce 2 MX board used to freeze randomly, usually when surfing, on all distros including VL5.9 light but not with VL5.9 std and Ubuntu 7.10. Eventually it occured to me that both VL5.9 std and Ubuntu installed the Nvidia drivers while the other distos I tried used vesa. Anyhow to cut a long story short providing I install the nvidia drivers this box never gives me any problems but without them it becomes very frustrating.

Chris