VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 07:19:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: firefox icon  (Read 1293 times)
ms2542

« on: March 26, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »

hi,

I just got done installing Vector 5.9 and I want to add a firefox icon to the desktop.  However, I can't find any means to do this.  I found a shell script but the icon is the same as what's in the system tray (a gray sphere).  When I double click on the shell script it does work but is there a way to replace that icon with the firefox icon?

Thanks!  BTW, Vector runs great with no problems!  It detected my network card and my monitor settings on the first try.  I NEVER had a Linux OS do that before!

Star Rat

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:49:31 pm »

I'm assuming we're talking about a desktop item? And KDE?

1. Right-click on the item you want to change the icon for, and select "Properties"

2. Click on the image of the current icon... that will bring up the "Select Icon" dialog.

3. Either scroll down loads and choose (double-click) one of the default VL Firefox icons, or...

4: a) ...Select the "other icons" radio button.
    b) Click on the "Browse" button.
    c) Navigate to /usr/share/pixmaps/
    d) Choose (double-click) the "Firefox" icon (usually "firefox.png")..

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:11:57 pm by Star Rat » Logged
ms2542

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:15:29 am »

I tried doing that and it doesn't let me click on the icon itself.  I can do that with the other icons on the desktop but not this particular one.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:13:04 am »

The advice you were given assumed you're using KDE. Unless you installed KDE yourself, VL 6 Standard uses XFce.

To add a desktop icon to launch Firefox, right-click on any existing desktop icon, then click on Desktop, then Create Launcher. Then fill in the blanks. When you get to the icons box, if you want the "foxy" Firefox icon, Select Icon From: Image files. Then click on Pixmaps and find the Firefox icon. Double-click on it and there it is! Finish by clicking on Create.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
ms2542

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:13:08 am »

I got the icon to display.  Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: