VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 03:16:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help on setting up SUSE 11 boot in VL lilo  (Read 1005 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: August 05, 2009, 11:40:33 am »

A friend gave me a SUSE 11 DVD and I thought I'd have a look at it. I had a spare partition for testing stuff and installed it there. I did not set up SUSE's grub or lilo (there is a choice of both on the installer), figuring vliloconf would do it for me on the VL6 side. It sort of did, but I see way too many errors while booting it. I think it may have something to do with having an initrd on the SUSE side or something. I fiddled with it for a while but wasn' t sure what needed doing, so here I am asking for help... Grin

Oh, I also tried installing SUSE's lilo on the partition level so I could chain load it from VL's lilo on the MBR, but the SUSE installer is pretty vague on the list of install locations for lilo (though it has quite a few). I tried one that sounded promising, but it ended up in the MBR anyway.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:54:28 am »

Can you maybe post the VL lilo.conf
And also, the names of the kernel and initrd from the suse installation,

AFAIK, you should be able to copy the initrd and kernel to /boot/tamu in VL, and then create an entry in lilo.conf

What kind of errors did you get when you set it up with vliloconf?

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »

Sorry, I nuked it for now, needed the space temporarily... Grin

Anyway, SUSE installs several kernels and initrds, but I did manually copy the default ones to /boot/tamu on the VL side (/dev/sda2) and did something like this in lilo.conf:
Code:
# Partition 5: Linux
image = /boot/tamu/vmlinuz-suse
    root = /dev/sda6
    label = SUSE11
    append = "splash=silent "
    read-only
    initrd = /boot/tamu/initrd-suse

The "root =" is supposed to point to the SUSE partition, right?

I didn't log the errors, just noticed a lot of them, as if the wrong modules were being loaded, or something. After vliloconf, only the SUSE kernel was copied, not the initrd, which was worse, since I only got a tui.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 03:36:46 am »

That looks about right to me. I'm wandering if for some reason you where loading the wrong initrd.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: