VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Setting up Raid  (Read 962 times)

bujums

Setting up Raid
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:07:51 am »

I am getting ready to set up a simple file server.  I have linux many times but never with Raid in mind.  I found a little info out there on doing this but I still have a question.

If I plan to have two 500 GB hard drives for backing up several computers in the a network (Raid).  Do I need to have a separate hard drive for my OS and home partitions?  Or, can I just partition one of the large drive for those areas?

If it matters... I am setting up a small server for Shared files and important backups for 5 XP computers.

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Setting up Raid
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 11:02:29 am »

There are several informative websites about RAID with linux. The one I've looked at most recently is here: http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Linux_Raid. (mdadm is in the repos)
The answers to your questions depend on what type of array you want and the performance you need. If you're just looking for a remote, large space then JBOD may be an option vs. RAID0 or 1.
Having a separate drive for your OS and home would be my preference in that scenario.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143

bujums

Re: Setting up Raid
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 11:07:52 am »

thank you for your opinion... & thank you for the pointer to the website too.