VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 07:41:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: boot problems after install  (Read 1051 times)
mlisai

« on: March 27, 2009, 06:46:30 am »

I'm having a problem booting my desktop after installing vector linux 5.9 light.  I spent most of yesterday reading forums and searching google but can't seem to clear this hurdle.  Any help would be appriciated.  Thanks!

Short version:  I think the first thing I need to do is copy the kernel from the iso install disk to my hard drive.  I could use specific instructions because my command line skills are pretty shaky.

Long version:  So first I used the install disk to make 3 partions (root hda1, swap hda2, and home hda3), and then format (I used EXT3 for formatting when asked) and install 5.9 light.  That all went pretty well after a few tries.  The next step was to reboot.

After rebooting I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top corner.  Now after searching forums yesterday I'm pretty sure I've wiped out the MBR.  I guess I need to have LILO installed for it to boot.  So next I go back to the install disk and use the LILO rescue option.  But upon running this I get the error "Cannot find kernel (VMLINUZ) Aborting LILO install".  After googling this error I find that I need to copy the kernel from the install disk to the hard drive.

That's where I'm at now.  I think I know what I need to do, but I'm not sure how to do it on the command line.  Like I said, I've put a lot of time into this already and would love to figure this out and get this up and running.  Thanks for your help.
Mike
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 06:58:19 am »

The lilo rescue option will only work if you have a linux installed in your system.

Did you have a windows installation in your system? Did this get wiped out when you repartitioned?

You can always boot your installed Vectorlinux using the install cd by following these instructions

at the boot prompt (when the cd loads) type this
Code:
linux root=/dev/xdxx ro
where "/dev/xdxx" is the address to your / partition selected during installation (ie, hda1,hdb1,hda2, etc)

After you boot the system, you can run
Code:
vliloconf
as root in a terminal

mlisai

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:54:33 am »

sweet! things are happening now. 
thanks alot.
later,
mike
Pages: [1]
  Print