VectorLinux
April 20, 2014, 01:31:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: add desktop icons  (Read 1316 times)
mlisai

« on: March 28, 2009, 06:32:37 am »

This one sounds like a simple question, but I just can't figure it out.  I'm using vl5.9 light and have installed firefox and thunderbird.  How do I add the icons to my desktop.  They show up in the menu under "network".  I figured right clicking would give me some options but it doesn't.

Also, my desktop icons are locked in place.  Is it possible to move them around?

Thanks for your help!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:27:13 am »

The desktop icons in Light are pretty much fixed in place, but you can add, delete, rename and change the images. To add new ones, double-click "My Documents", navigate to /usr/share/applications. Select the desired icons, right-click and select "copy", next right-click on your desktop and select "paste".
mlisai

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:41:43 am »

Great, thanks for your help.  That worked out pretty well except for thunderbird does not have an icon with it.  I mean, it was in usr/share/applications, but the picture is just blank.  I did copy it to the desktop though.  Is there a way to assign an image?

Thanks
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 09:46:42 am »

To edit the desktop launcher, right-click it and select "open with" > "leafpad".
Find the image you want to use, and type the full path to it in the line that starts with "Icon=".
mlisai

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:09:05 am »

once again nightflier, outstanding!

it's nice to get things working the right way.

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: