VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 08:52:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: multi boot with lilo  (Read 1826 times)
dymnrgh

Always looking for the diamond in the rough

« on: March 29, 2009, 08:28:11 am »

Hi all, just got the latest Vector 6.0 std gold and installed it. (It went well. Very nice update to the installer) When I got to the point to add lilo I did as with Vector 5.9 std gold and installed into the MBR, however now when I boot I only get two of the OS's listed in lilo menu. I am running two hard drives the first is /dev/hda it is the first hard drive that has winxp on it the second drive is partitioned with a swap and three partitions with variants of linux /dev/hdb1 linux swap, /dev/hdb2 ubuntu, /dev/hdb3 vector, /dev/hdb red hat, lilo does not see the ubuntu or red hat and does not make the menu entries for lilo. all of the three distros are set as bootable when the hard disk was partitioned so I am unsure as what to do next. Thanks.
nightshift

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:57:09 am »

Hi dymnrgh:

You have to modify /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new partitions. "ubuntu" and "red hat", then in a terminal as root run lilo. I use grub and am not as familiar with lilo. So maybe someone familiar with lilo can tell you how to add the entries you need.

nightshift
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:46:40 am »

So edit your /etc/lilo.conf file and add an extra stanza similar to the one below:
Code:
image = /mnt/tmp/boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdb5
label = RedHat
append = "splash=silent resume=/dev/hdb5"
             initrd = /mnt/tmp/boot/initrd
read-only

But, you need to make sure "root" is the appropriate partition, the image file is the correct one for whatever distro you are loading and change that label line also.

Then as root in a terminal you need to mount the partition where the distro kernel is kept and then run lilo:

Code:
mount /dev/hdb5 /mnt/tmp
lilo -v

Done.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
dymnrgh

Always looking for the diamond in the rough

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:14:09 pm »

ok I edited lilo.conf and added the stanza at the end of the file here is the output:

root:# cat /etc/lilo.conf
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
default = linux
compact
prompt
timeout = 100
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
  reset
bitmap = /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k
# vga=791
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x32k
# vga=790
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
# vga=773
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k
# vga=788
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x32k
# vga=787
# VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256
# vga=771
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k
# vga=785
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x32k
# vga=784
# VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256
# vga=769

# End LILO global section
# Partition 1 : DOS/Windows
other = /dev/hda1
    label = Win
    table = /dev/hda
# Partition 2: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdb3
    label = linux
    append = " "
    read-only

# Partition 3: Linux TUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdb3
    label = linux-tui
    append = "2  "
    read-only

# Partition 4: Linux GUI mode
image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hdb3
    label = linux-gui
    append = "4  "
    read-only

image = /mnt/tmp/boot/vmlinuz
     root = /dev/hdb2
     label =  ubuntu
     append = "splash=silent resume=/dev/hdb2"
            intrd = /mnt/tmp/boot/intrd
     read-only

then when I mount the disk it seems to mount ok but when I run the lilo -v command I get the following message : unrecognized tolkin "intrd" at or above line 66 in file '/etc/lilo.conf' and WARNING: the boot sector and map file are on different disks. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me and all of the help pages and googleing seems to make the understanding of how this works even worse. can you tell me also how I can look at the hard drive partition sections without having to run a formatting utility? Thanks

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:32:34 pm »

unrecognized tolkin "intrd" at or above line 66 in file '/etc/lilo.conf' and WARNING: the boot sector and map file are on different disks.

That should be "initrd" - you missed and "i" in your /etc/lilo.conf file.
You also need to ensure the Ubuntu distro actually has an image called /boot/vmlinuz and an initrd in that same directory. I do not personally know where and what Ubuntu puts that stuff, but that is what it should be called and where it should be. After you use the mount command you can use a file explorer to check the /mnt/tmp/boot directory and see what Ubuntu calls those images.

To look at your hd partitions: "fdisk -l" as root in a terminal

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kelate

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:10:36 pm »

i tried to install VL 6.0 light..i planned to multi-boot with XPSP3...i choose XFS file system...lastly during installation of GRUB...i can't install the boot loader..

so after reboot,my pc stucked at this-GRUB_ Angry Angry Angry..i also cannot access my windows...so at th end? i have to reformat my pc to enable me to reinstall my windows...

i have no problems to install puppylinux 4.2,kubuntu 9.04 n knoppix before....may i know why i faced that kind of problems or errors?Huh
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:12:14 pm »

@kelate: You will have better luck starting your own thread for your problem.

When you do, please include as much relevant information as possible.

BTW, VL 6.0 Light does not come with GRUB, I wonder if it was installed by another OS?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »

Start a new thread as nightflier suggests. HOWEVER, it sounds like your bootloader just needs to be sorted out - all operating systems should be intact, including windows.
kelate

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:10:14 am »

no..during installation..it offered me to install grub....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: