VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 08:43:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I cant find files described in installation gude  (Read 1502 times)
Alek

« on: March 29, 2009, 10:04:43 am »

In this link I found section:

The next files should be placed into C:\loadlin
loadlin.exe
Get it from “install/loadlin/” directory within the FTP site.
initrd.img
Find it as “isolinux/initrd.img” within the FTP site
The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory within FTP site.

But I can't find install or isolinux directory on Vectors ftp:

http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/

Where are these files?
nightshift

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:22:38 am »

Hi Alek:

Any reason why you are doing this the hard way? Why not just download the iso image burn it to a disk boot from the cd and install VL 6! Or are you doing this just for the sake of doing this a different way?

nightshift
Alek

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:56:46 am »

It is the first described way of the installation. I thought that serious, responsible people had written it and that what I am installing that is the competitor Windows!
I didn't expect trouble already at the first step.

Is it serious to ask me why I follow the official installation guide?

Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:09:25 pm »

Hi Alek,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you installing vector on a new machine, with a clean drive, or on a machine that already has an OS on it?

I was curious about what you posted, and found the the first suggested way to install is in section 4, "Direct ISO File from a Windows host." which is what nightshift suggests. Please see: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#installation

There are many responsible - and helpful - people on this forum. It has a very good reputation for this very reason.  We all would be glad to assist you in getting your set up going.   

We are nice to our people - and I'm sure I speak for many here in saying we'd like you to be nice to us too.  Grin Grin

- Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~~~

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Alek

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »

Hi Alek,

Welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome.

Are you installing vector on a new machine, with a clean drive, or on a machine that already has an OS on it?

This is old computer with Windows XP installed. There is a CD room in it but unfortunatelly it stop working month ago, so I would like install Linux from HD only. In your link this way is also decsribed but I cant find these files on ftp:(.
nightshift

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:17 pm »

Sorry Alex, I didn't mean that in a bad way.

Was not sure you were a seasoned linux user and was looking for a challenge. I am not a seasoned linux user and use the CD method. I don't know who wrote the installation instructions and never before today saw them.

3. Obtaining VectorLinux

Each edition of VectorLinux is distributed as an ISO (.iso) "image" file. To obtain it and prepare it for installation the steps are:

* Decide which edition of VectorLinux you want. Download the ISO image file (.iso) and the corresponding md5 checksum file (.md5). The download sites are listed at the VectorLinux website, download page and also in the Overview Document.
    * You should check the image file before burning it to a CD, to make sure it has not been corrupted during download transmission. For that, you need to do an "md5sum check", that means comparing the "fingerprint" of your image file (.iso) against the fingerprint stored in the checksum file (.md5).
    * Note that VL allows you to install the .iso file directly without actually burning to a CD first (see Install Methods below), so if you do not wish to burn a CD you don't have to. If you do burn the image onto a CD using a CD-writer and ensure that you burn the .iso image as an IMAGE, not as a data file. If you burn the .iso as a data file you will not be able to boot your new CD. Check your CD burning software documentation on how to burn as an "image".

If you don't have a good, fast Internet connection, or a CD-writer, you may order a well-prepared CD from our store

where: And this is what I was referring to: Why it is 4.4 and not before 3 I don't know.

4.4 Bootable CD

Use this method if you already have the VL install CD, and your computer is capable of booting it.

First, you may need to change the boot order. Changing the boot order allows your system to boot from different devices like your hard drive, floppy drive or CDROM drive.
When you select an installation method, you might have to set up your system to boot accordingly. To do this, immediately after your computer starts up go to the BIOS options setup screen (1). There should be an option for boot order (general options are C drive, A drive, CDROM drive, etc). Choose which should boot first (in this case CDROM drive), save out of the BIOS screens and restart the computer. You can change the boot order back when you are finished installing VL.

nightshift

Alek

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:39:59 pm »

Summing up, can I install Vector without using CD drive - in practic?

I already have .iso file with Vector on HD and I checked integity of it  but need loadlin.exe and initrd.img.

W would like follow 4.2 method (Direct ISO on a Windows Host). 

I'm newbie.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:42:40 pm by Alek » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 02:47:10 pm »

You can perform a hard drive install, but not from Windows XP. The guide was written back in the Win9x days. To use loadlin you need to be in DOS mode. Does the computer have a working floppy drive that it can boot from?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: