VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 05:23:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Failing to connect to the net  (Read 1083 times)
kedarm

« on: March 28, 2009, 11:39:06 am »

Hi!

This is a new problem that just took me by surprise. My computer is refusing to connect to the net. After many attempts, I signed in as root and ran dhcpid. I finally connected and got an ip address.

I've got some doubts -
(a) How do I set a static ip address using wicd? I tried setting it in the /etc/network/interfaces file, but in never recognises the settings there.
(b) If I log-out as root, and sign in as a normal user, why do I lose the connection to the internet?

Also, while using VL (Light, 6.0), it crashed and when I restarted, it opens a file manager window and just shows me a dark blue desktop (as if I've lost my wallpaper). I don't know if it is a coincidence, but ever since this happened, the network problems began.

The dhcp server is working fine, and my Ubuntu doesn't throw the same tantrums. Help needed..
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »

If you are using a static IP, there is no need for Wicd. As root, in a terminal, run vasm > network > netconf

Looks like you are using JWM and pcmanfm lost it's settings. In that file manager window, click
Edit > Preferences > Desktop tab, and check the box for "Manage the desktop and show icons".
kedarm

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:38:51 pm »

I got the static ip working. But, I'd like to know the file in which the data (ip address, etc) is stored.

I frequently move my laptop to my lab, house, hostel, etc. For each place, I have a static ip configuration (different ip address, gateway, DNS, etc). When I used Debian, I had the other configurations commented out in my /etc/network/interfaces file, and would uncomment the required configuration followed by a (as root) -
$ /etc/init.d/networking restart

Is there some similar file that I can modify? And what is the substitute for the networking restart command? Or, on a more general note, what is the substitute for the /etc/init.d folder?

Also, regarding the use of JWM. Every time I log out (or even restart x), I lose all my JWM settings. I have to redo all the settings. Any idea why that is happening?

@ nightflier :
Thanks again for helping me out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:46:13 pm by kedarm » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:17:54 pm »

Look in /etc/rc.d/ study the files rc.inet1 and functions-network.

What JWM settings are you changing and how?
kedarm

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:58:26 pm »

I think the problem arose because my /home partition was full. I had downloaded one large file into the drive without realising. Smiley

Foolish of me! Sorry!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: