VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Failing to connect to the net  (Read 1209 times)

kedarm

Failing to connect to the net
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:39:06 pm »

Hi!

This is a new problem that just took me by surprise. My computer is refusing to connect to the net. After many attempts, I signed in as root and ran dhcpid. I finally connected and got an ip address.

I've got some doubts -
(a) How do I set a static ip address using wicd? I tried setting it in the /etc/network/interfaces file, but in never recognises the settings there.
(b) If I log-out as root, and sign in as a normal user, why do I lose the connection to the internet?

Also, while using VL (Light, 6.0), it crashed and when I restarted, it opens a file manager window and just shows me a dark blue desktop (as if I've lost my wallpaper). I don't know if it is a coincidence, but ever since this happened, the network problems began.

The dhcp server is working fine, and my Ubuntu doesn't throw the same tantrums. Help needed..

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Failing to connect to the net
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:13:14 pm »

If you are using a static IP, there is no need for Wicd. As root, in a terminal, run vasm > network > netconf

Looks like you are using JWM and pcmanfm lost it's settings. In that file manager window, click
Edit > Preferences > Desktop tab, and check the box for "Manage the desktop and show icons".

kedarm

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »

I got the static ip working. But, I'd like to know the file in which the data (ip address, etc) is stored.

I frequently move my laptop to my lab, house, hostel, etc. For each place, I have a static ip configuration (different ip address, gateway, DNS, etc). When I used Debian, I had the other configurations commented out in my /etc/network/interfaces file, and would uncomment the required configuration followed by a (as root) -
$ /etc/init.d/networking restart

Is there some similar file that I can modify? And what is the substitute for the networking restart command? Or, on a more general note, what is the substitute for the /etc/init.d folder?

Also, regarding the use of JWM. Every time I log out (or even restart x), I lose all my JWM settings. I have to redo all the settings. Any idea why that is happening?

@ nightflier :
Thanks again for helping me out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:46:13 pm by kedarm »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 06:17:54 pm »

Look in /etc/rc.d/ study the files rc.inet1 and functions-network.

What JWM settings are you changing and how?

kedarm

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:58:26 pm »

I think the problem arose because my /home partition was full. I had downloaded one large file into the drive without realising. :)

Foolish of me! Sorry!