VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 04:49:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hi all  (Read 1702 times)
Sonic

« on: March 30, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »

hi, i'm relatively new to linux at all, but i think the time has come for me to leave windows ;-)
i have already checked different distributions over the time (sam linux, vectorlinux 5.8 (yeah, some time ago), knoppix, elive, fluxbuntu...), but i have never spend enough time to get comfortable with linux to keep it for a longer time. now i installed vl 5.9 light, it's quiet nice and i think i'll keep this one. i always had an eye on vl and i think it's one of the best distributions. :-)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:36:47 pm »

Welcome Sonic!

You will like this place.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:48:59 pm »

Welcome to VectorLinux, Sonic.
I think you will find a lot of good people here.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Sonic

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:55:23 am »

thanks for the nice welcome  Smiley
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:16:47 pm »

That you are running 5.9 light means to me that your machine may not have a lot of power, or ram.  That is one of the best things about VL.  30 years ago, a weak CPM machine still had more computer power than had all of the US military during WWII.  So, rather than buy a new computer each time one is produced, VL allows us to give meaningful life to computers that might not be all that "up-to-date."  But still are 40 times more powerful than the US military during WWII.  And still run lightning fast.  Perhaps I am cheap, perhaps nostalgic.  But I just can't get myself to trash a computer that works.  VL keeps these machines out of the landfills.  And, in my case, VL gets me and my old hardware through a very competitive world very nicely.  That you have experimented with other linux systems means to me that you are one of those folks who like to have some control over your life.....who is unwilling to rely totally on others.  You should fit well here. 

Sonic

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:51 pm »

@sledgehammer:
hi, my computer would have enough power to run windows vista with no problems.
if you are interested:
cpu: athlon x2 7750 (overclocked from 2.7GHz to 3.1 per core)
graphiccard: ati hd4870 overclocked (gpu:800MHz; RAM:1024MB @ 3700MHz)
RAM: 4GB (1066MHz; 5-5-5-15)
mainboard: asus m3a78-cm
but you are also right, i like to have control, over my life and over my computer, of course.
i hate the way most modern operating systems go, i like clean and light systems which do not consump to much of the power my system has. i like it to get most out of my system without getting better or newer hardware...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:56:08 pm by Sonic » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:06 am »

Wow!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: