I'm a new VL user too, just installed VL Light 6 on a LG X110, which is a rebranding netbook of the U100 with UMTS. It has a RTL8187se wireless module too.
The ethernet card has been detected out of the box, no problem here.
To install the RTL8187se driver:
- be sure you installed the development tools and the kernel sources when installing your VL Light.
- download the sources from here
- decompress the archive with the command "tar -xvf".
- compile it by moving to the new folder and typing "make".
- install it by entering as root "make install".
- run the wicd client, in preferences, set wlan0 as wireless interface.
- you're done, just set your ssid and passphrase in wicd.
Thanks folks for VL Light, I'm discovering it right now