VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 02:59:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: can't log in  (Read 4176 times)
shunn

« on: March 30, 2009, 11:16:37 pm »

hello, in trying to set up my new installation of vector 5.9 light i ended up changing the hostname to the url address that i have leading to my ip address, now i can't even log into the os. is there anyway i can change it back?
shunn

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:43:10 am »

never mind, installation is so quick that I just reinstalled. unfortunately i am still having the trouble that lead me to changing the hostname  Sad
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:54:44 am »

And what is that problem?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
shunn

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:20:11 am »

trying to remote connect to my server down in the basement from my laptop which has windows vista on it(probably taking it off after i learn more about linux) with TightVNC. i've been reading posts on here but nothing has worked thus far   Sad
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 11:11:17 am »

Can you ping the Vista IP?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
shunn

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:26:45 am »

I can ping VL from vista-

pinging statistics for 192.168.1.149:
Packets: sent = 4 received = 4 lost = 0

not sure if the ping from VL to vista is working.. it's up to 500 packets and i'm about to quit it. does that mean that it's not pinging?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:56 am »

Control+c for quiting, looks like its working.
Try using the ip:5900 for VNC. If that works, that means the problem is resolving windows names. Not sure how that works, I dont do Linux-Windows networking here, but surely someone else will be able to help you or we can do some research. Try using the ip to connect to the VNC service, be sure Vista firewall is not blocking port 5900, or that the service is configured properly to allow remote connections in the correct port.

EDIT: You could also do nmap <ip> from linux to see if Vista is listening for vnc at the proper port.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:45:49 am by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:15:44 pm »

Did you install tightvnc on the Vector machine?

Did you start the server so that it is listening for a viewer to connect?

Bigpaws
shunn

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 07:25:56 pm »

tight vnc is installed on the vector machine. then i open up a terminal(as root because that's the only account i have made thus far, if that makes a difference) i've typed in the following- "vncserver :1" "vncserver :5900" "vncserver <ip>:1" "vncserver <ip>:5900" and then a few things happen, even so i'm not sure if it's truely started. here's a bit of a log that i "made" earlier, in this I used <ip>:5900-

root:# vncserver <ip>:5900
TightVNC Server Version 1.3.8
Usage: vncserver [<OPTIONS>] [:<display#>]
  vncserver -kill :<DISPLAY#>

<OPTIONS> are Xvnc options, or:

-name <DESKTOP-NAME>
  -depth <DEPTH>
  -geometry <WIDTH>x<HEIGHT>
  -pixelformat rgb<NNN>
  -pixelformat bgr<NNN>

See vncserver and Xvnc manual pages for more information

then i went to kill the process, i forgot to enter the ip address and this is what came up-

root:# vncserver -kill :5900
Can't find file /root/.vnc/vector.linux.net:5900.pid
You'll have to kill the Xvnc process manually

so i tried killing the process a second time using the ip and port, this is what came up-

root:# vncserver -kill 76.84.169.112:5900

Can't tell if 76.84.169.112:5900 is on vector.linux.net
use -kill :<number> instead

so it seems that trying to start the service on port 5900 doesn't work/creates a process id file and when i started it on port 1 it did create a process id file but still wasn't broadcasting. if you look at my last quote about vector.linux.net, that is what led me to changing the name server the last time, which locked me out of the os, which was the initial reason that i created this thread. i am going to look into what i should do about the hostname because i looked like it was resolving to my router's ip address and i am thinking it should resolve to the ip address that my router assigns to my computer but i can be wrong. i'm not at the vector machien right now because i got tired and trying to figure out how to get this to work lol
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:22 pm »

Sorry I misunderstood your question I thought you was trying to connect from Vector to Vista  Embarrassed
What happens if you run vncserver without arguments? It should prompt for a password for using later to connect to the VNC session and start a session at <hostname>:<X session ID> (usually 1).

The :1 is not the port but the X server identifier. Start the vnc server, and use <ip>:1 from vncviewer to access your desktop.

--
Jumalauta!!
shunn

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:47:54 pm »

I have already ran vncserver without any arguements and set up the password previously. but i ran it without any arguements again and it gave a bunch of errors about not being able to find certain font files and such, but it says that it's listening for vnc connections on 5901 or internet connections on 5801. i tried connecting to it using both the computer's assigned ip address and the my gateway ip address which the hostname(vector.linux.net) seems to resolve to. i tried both 192.168.1.1:1 and i tried 192.168.1.1:5901, but that just strips out the 590 and reverts it back to 192.168.1.1:1 either way the TightVNC viewer on my vista laptop says "Failed to connect to server(192.168.1.1:1)

edit: oh, and i also tried using my network's actual ip address:1 and that didn't work either. i really don't want to switch back to windows on my desktop which is what has vector.. but i just might have to if i can't get tightvnc or some other comparable open source free-of-charge remote desktop application to work..

second edit: oh and i have set up port forwarding in my router (Linksys WRT54G upgraded to a linux router with DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) micro firmware on it) to forward ports 5800 - 5901 using both TCP and UDP protocols to the computer with Vector/VNCserver on it (192.168.1.149) and have Demilitarized Zone enabled and pointing to the computer with Vector/VNCserver on it

third edit: i was looking in my router's page, and it is not recognizing my computer's hostname, is this at all relevant? the vector computer has internet connectivity and can browse the internet, has a mac address and stuff, so i'd imagine it wouldn't effect anything

fourth edit: also tried port range forward
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:39:10 pm by shunn » Logged
shunn

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 11:23:34 pm »

this caught my eye when running vncserver without any arguements "couldn't start Xvnc process" what's up with that? did i get a bad package? i did not download it through gslapt but rather a link here on the forums
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 04:10:36 am »

In brief, when everything works as advertised, you install tightvnc on two machines.

Then, you run "vncserver" on the server machine. It will ask you for a password that you need to enter twice, and it gives you the option of setting up a view only password. When up and running, it should announce "New 'X' desktop is your.host.name:1" (plus some more info about startup script and log files).

Now, from the client, you enter "vncviewer IP.ADD.RE.SS:1", where the last number corresponds with the one that the server announced, in this case "1".

If get an error about "could not start Xvnc process", obviously something is wrong. Try installing tightvnc again, using gslapt.

I wonder if there is some confusion about address routing. Within your local network, you need to go from the client (vista) directly to your server (192.168.1.whatever), not via your router (192.168.1.1). IP forwarding via the router happens from the outside (your public IP) to the inside. It will not forward between machines on the inside.

There is more to IP forwarding and ports than this, but first get it working on the local network, then come back for some stern warnings about network security Wink
shunn

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 08:47:43 am »

I -am- just trying to get it working within my local network, so that i can work on the vector server from my laptop and not have to sit down in the basement in a very uncomfortable position(only have a little make-shift "desk") but the whole problem as been that it wont accept incoming connections, possible it isn't properly starting as per that warning about the Xvnc process, which i believe is that remote server for the Xwindows. i think i'll delete out the partition and do a fresh install of vector, start over from scratch. but is there anything else i need to do -before- i try VNC again? such as anything with networking? and again, my only target is to get it working on my lan, not through WAN, or atleast not yet until i understand more about security
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:03:30 am »

FWIW, I just successfully tested tightvnc on VL6 Light, installed via gslapt. VL6 Light should be released within a few days.

Some things you could play with: Install putty on your win box. Start the ssh daemon (/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd start) on VL. Then try to connect using putty/SSH. If it works, you will gain command line access and this will verify that your network is configured.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: