VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 04:31:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-Light-Final feedback.  (Read 30666 times)
Tommy599

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 06:28:13 am »

On the RC1 if I remember correctly, I checked it with the htop process viewer.

I tried it now and it shows 35-40MB which is the normal, and top (from the taskbar) and conky show 100+  Huh

This screenshot was taken right after boot (well not really but it was idle from boot to the time I made the screenshot), with htop, top and conky all in view.

I think only htop is showing it correctly because I haven't noticed anything running slower, everything responds well.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:52:45 am by Tommy599 » Logged

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
dematerializer

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 07:33:59 am »

Greetings ppl..

As of today got it working on my Acer Aspire One 150 (first released model) and what can I say.. so far so good!. Everything worked out of the box and without any hassle. The only thing which's causing me to keep an eye over it is the networking capabilities over wireless (it's well known by their given problems with the athk5 stock driver module and the madwifi workarounds).

Regardless this time wireless worked surprisingly fine and with the stock kernel module, I have reasons to think there's something more to tweak or look over there, one of the symptoms I do have right now is a very laggy or delayed response at time of resolve names or make lookups, something similar's happening with bigger than usual timeouts while trying to reach other hosts, both locally and externally.

Overall, this had become a quality/stable/speedy release that far exceeded my expectations and the first choice of boot on my little toy  Wink by now.

Hope somebody else has had the oportunity to give it a try with the same hardware and throw out some input.

Regards
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 10:02:20 am »

You might want to look at your /etc/resolv.conf file to see what is given for name servers.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2009, 11:04:28 am »

You might want to look at your /etc/resolv.conf file to see what is given for name servers.

Yes, I had a similar peoblem once and I realized the dns server provided by my isp was not working well, I switched to OpenDNS and that solved it.
I just added their IPs to my /etc/resolv.conf like this:

Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 04:43:28 pm »

Memory usage, htop vs. top: They calculate usage differently, has to do with buffers. This explains it better:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-393176.html
Tommy599

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »

Nice piece of info!

Thanks very much!  Cheesy

dematerializer

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 04:06:41 am »

Something off topic but.. does anybody knows any good soft for battery monitor which could fit with the acpi management for these netbooks? of course, something lighter would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
karenin

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 05:27:49 am »

I don't know if this belongs here, anyway:

I have two problems.
First: In rc.modules i've uncommented my networkcard. With VL 5.9 this was enough to get connected to the internet from boot (as far as I recall). But with 6.0 light there is no connection; I have to use dhcpcd to get connected. How do I solve this?

Second: I used the firewall that comes with VL light but now everytime I shutdown the computer I get the message:

Stopping firewall.....................  stopping firewall...
Stopping firewall.....................  stopping firewall
Stopping firewall.....................  stopping firewall
ad infinitum.

The only way to stop it is simply switch the computer off, which is the wrong way of course.
In VASM I've tried to stop the firewall, but everytime I klik 'stop firewall' the VASM menu dissapears and then nothing, I still get the 'Stopping firewall' messages so obviously the firewall hasn't stopped. How do I reverse things i.e. stop and disable the firewall?

Thanks in advance.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 06:14:24 am »

@karenin: I'll give it a stab here.  Smiley  You must use the root account to perform the following actions:

First: Since you obviously know the commands needed to activate your network, just add them to the file "/etc/rc.d/rc.local".

Second: Unset the executable bit on the firewall script:
Code:
chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall

If this doesn't work for you, start two different threads in the "Networking & Security" section, one for each problem.
karenin

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 06:59:48 am »

@nightflier:

Your first solution worked like a charm.
As for the second, I'll post in the suggested thread.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 10:29:21 pm »

I've installed VL6 Light on a 4-gig partition on my 1.3 GHz computer. It will be used solely for packaging. I would like to try JWM, but how do I start the darn thing???

I boot to text mode (level 2) and when I type startx, IceWM opens (as I wish). I figure I should be able to type a command to start JWM instead of IceWM, but I can't find what to type.

So, what is the command?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 04:34:52 am »

There is no separate script to start JWM. Use "vxwmset" to choose, then "startx".
Tommy599

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:09 am »

I ran into a little problem today...

Yesterday I got online from the laptop and updated and installed a few packages from the repos.
Today, when I opened a pdf I was reading the day before, before the packages were installed, I saw no writing...just some pictures (arrows/bullets etc.)

xpdf was opened from the command line so I looked at the terminal and these lines kept appearing. I did an su to root and ran xpdf from the command line as root, and this time, the pdf was displayed correctly. (same thing in the root account, it works fine)

Another thing: pcmanfm file associations were gone  Shocked
I reinstalled pcmanfm and I got them back, but the pdf problem still remained.

In the attachment are the /var/log/packages files modified yesterday and today.

I think maybe something screwed with my privileges or fonts?

Huh

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 06:23:26 am »

Don't know what might have happened. Judging by your package list, you have much of gnome installed as well as kdelibs, so you can try a workaround by using gv or kghostview.
Tommy599

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2009, 10:43:04 am »

I installed Foxit Reader for Linux and it works. So far it's fast and it seems ok, certainly looks better than xpdf.  (I tried gv but I couldn't find a way to skip to a certain page...)

Maybe this weird issue was for the better  Grin  I got a better pdf viewer hehe.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: