VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 01:58:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-Light-Final feedback.  (Read 32278 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:26 pm »

Please let us know how this release is working for you.
Tommy599

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:37 am »

Is the Xorg going to work for my laptop or do I need the old xorg.conf?

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:14:38 am »

The changes from RC1 are minor, your results should be the same.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:09:28 am »

I just downloaded this and installed to a VM... and as soon as I saw the initial desktop, my jaw hit the desk. What a stunning release.

Of couse, I customized my isntall to fit my needs and mine only.
no FF
no opera
no kdm
no printing or samba stuff

As soon as I booted, I enabled testing repo, and added modori. Runs beautifully, and performs great.

The only thing I could ask for at this point is for the menu updater script to run every time a slapt-get or gslapt session ends, so that the menu is updated without any human intervention.

Other than that, it's amazing.

Thanks guys

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 04:57:34 pm »

I have an unused 4-gig Linux partition on my 1.3 GHz Celeron. I'd like to try my hand at packaging and thought I might install VL Light on that partition.

On VL 6 Light could I compile and create packages usable on VL 6 Standard? If the answer is "yes," what video driver should I install? The computer has a Radeon 9200 card. The proprietary Radeon driver won't work with this card, so I have the xorg radeon driver installed in my VL 6 Deluxe partition. Would the vesa driver be a better choice on VL Light for creating proper packages without unneeded dependencies?

Let me know if there are other things I need to do to have a suitable installation for packaging. Then I just have to learn how to do it.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:26:40 pm »

Granny,
Yes you can use light to build pkgs for any 6.0 version.

You can safely use any non-proprietary video driver to build pkgs.

I think you will have fun learning how to build packages, and will find it isn't a lot harder than what you have already done.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
linuxhopper

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »

I have installed VL6.0-Light-Final as a third Linux OS on my hard drive. As gnome user, From grub to full desktop takes roughly 35 seconds, which is just as good as my main OS, Mandriva. I also like the overall design of this distro. I do have a slight problem. I need to have one of my paritions (formatted to FAT32 and used as common database for my three Linux OS's) automounted. How do I go about this? As a gnome user, I am not at home with icewm, kde or xfce.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:47:59 pm »

Try Vasm, Super, Filesystem, Mount, ADD

I have installed VL6.0-Light-Final as a third Linux OS on my hard drive. As gnome user, From grub to full desktop takes roughly 35 seconds, which is just as good as my main OS, Mandriva. I also like the overall design of this distro. I do have a slight problem. I need to have one of my paritions (formatted to FAT32 and used as common database for my three Linux OS's) automounted. How do I go about this? As a gnome user, I am not at home with icewm, kde or xfce.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:10:07 pm »

Yes you can use light to build pkgs for any 6.0 version.

You can safely use any non-proprietary video driver to build pkgs.

I think you will have fun learning how to build packages, and will find it isn't a lot harder than what you have already done.

Great! I downloaded Light this morning and installed it on the 4-gig partition. I discovered that vpackager wasn't included, so I installed it with Gslapt. I started vpackager and tried to figure it out just from the menus, but couldn't make heads or tails of it.<g> I think I recall a detailed explanation of using vpackager on this forum and will search for it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:30:58 pm »

Just to try I installed in an old laptop, Liteline Model 5033, 64 K RAM, MMX processer, 3 kg light,
no modem, no netcard.

All seems to be working respectively at extremely slow speed. Resolution is awful and I will not spend time
figuring it out correctly.

Normally I have DSL in this machine, which is faster and has the right resolution.
The unit is only used by some kids when on vacation to play and learn with.

Just thought to let you know
linuxhopper

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 09:59:24 pm »

Try Vasm, Super, Filesystem, Mount, ADD

Thanks. I got it to work. But how to you get the mounted partition/s to be displayed on desktop and not just on the panel?
linuxhopper

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:03:07 pm »

I inadvertently posted this question in another thread so I will ask it here again.

Can I install xfce and get it to work with VL 6 Light in lieu of icewm? If so, can I safely remove the latter and keep only xfce as my default DE?

The reason I would like to do this is to have a little more desktop functionality whilst keep the system very lean.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 05:45:59 am »

Can I install xfce and get it to work with VL 6 Light in lieu of icewm?

There would be very little point to doing that. If you want xfce you may as well install VL6 Standard Edition. It would only be a few MB's larger than all the hassle of installing and removing packages.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
linuxhopper

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 07:58:29 pm »

Can I install xfce and get it to work with VL 6 Light in lieu of icewm?

There would be very little point to doing that. If you want xfce you may as well install VL6 Standard Edition. It would only be a few MB's larger than all the hassle of installing and removing packages.

Thanks for your advice.
Tommy599

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 10:58:44 pm »

I installed this baby last night (no, I don't have anything better to do on a Saturday night  Embarrassed) and I am pleased to say that now it's the only OS on my beloved lappy. 5.9  Light is gone.

- as with RC1, i had to install with linux edd=off (what is this?)

- it installed the packages quickly, the lower compression payed off:
    - 990mb pack -> 4m 20s
    - 736mb pack- > 3m 40s
    - average: ~3.6mb/s

-the installation done sign appeared after only 13 mins

-at the last pack, something with documents, it still stops at 109% just like in RC1

-at reboot, I selected the vesa option but the config still failed, but this time from the fail menu I went with the default configuration and it worked, so it went easier than with RC1

-I logged in to my account after only 23mins

-it took me almost as much to customise, the most difficult to change being the welcome message of the consoles (yeah, I must have it ALL my way   Tongue ) but I finally found it in /etc/profile.d/vasm.sh  Grin Should I write a HOW-TO on this?

-no problems encountered, it runs smoothly

-a maybe stupid and inappropriate question for this part of the forum: how do I manually install packages? (I don't have net on the lappy so I manually d/l packages from the repos but don't know how to install  Huh )
(nevermind, I found the installpkg command)

Great work from everyone who made this great piece of software possible!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:52:13 am by Tommy599 » Logged

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: