VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 06:40:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-Light-Final feedback.  (Read 32542 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 06:45:02 pm »

There is no separate script to start JWM. Use "vxwmset" to choose, then "startx".

Thanks. I did this and was able to start JWM and take a look.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
justin

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »

This is a stupid complaint but I was bothered by the non vector Linux wallpaper that was set as default.  I don't know what else I have to complain about yet. 
I liked how vector automatically connected to my access point.  I like how java and flash were all set up already.  I like how ctrl alt delete works like on windows.  I like how it recognized my other partitions like windows.  So far I like it much more than xubuntu.  I think there were more things that I liked but can't remember. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:55:53 pm by justin » Logged
Fred

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2009, 07:33:06 am »

I run FreeBSD on a couple computers, but am frustrated by lack of Flash Player, so I downloaded and installed VL-6.0 Light on a homemade Asus box with P4 and 1Gb ram. My initial thoughts are:

Negative:
What I had hoped for was a barebones system, no software installed, so I could add only those packages I want.  Since this isn't the case, I'll need to delete a bunch of stuff, some of which I don't even know what it is and couldn't care less.

Positive:
The JWM window manager.  I have been using it with FreeBSD where I have had to edit .jwmrc to add or remove programs from the menu.  Vector's UpdateMenu is a handy addition.  I will, however, remove all icons and wallpaper from the desktop.  Unlike previous nightmares with CUPS, I was able to get my Brother laser printer running in about two minutes. I really appreciate that my USB card reader and cdrom are automatically mounted and available.  I was glad to find gqview available to view my photo collection. Almost forgot Firefox, I upgraded to 3.0, with Flash is running.

It's a start, looks good so far.           
craptop

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

First of all, I love VectorLinux.  Grin  I'm a bit of a noob but I have tried many distros in an attempt to resurrect an old Compaq Presario 1200 notebook, and all the VectorLinux distros definitely seem faster than any others, including other SlackWare distros like ZenWalk and AbsoluteLinux. Whatever black magic you have done to optimize the kernel or whatever, it definitely seems to make this a sleek and speedy distro for older hardware.

My one and only big complaint about VL Light 6 is actually a fairly minor thing to fix:  the startup and shutdown sounds (e.g., "Initiating startup sequence").  Shocked  On the first boot of my new installation it was very loud and annoying. IceWM has these turned on by default, and seems to lack any sort of GUI control panel to change sounds, and although a few forum posts hinted at ways to comment-out lines of the startup and shutdown scripts, it seems like the best thing for you to do is have them disabled by default in the distro, or at least make startup and shutdown sounds an optional selection in the installer menu.

When I did comment them out in the root account, I was later disappointed to hear them again when I logon as a regular user. The scripts must be customized for each account, requiring more annoying commenting-out in each account. So, finally I gave up and simply changed to the JWM window manager, for all accounts. JWM doesn't seem to have annoying sounds configured by default, so that worked for me. Unfortunately it is not as good looking as the sweet IceWM dark grey theme that is the default in VL Light 6. But those sounds were going to drive me crazy.  Tongue

Thanks for listening to my comment, and thanks for some great and amazing distros!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 05:23:03 am »

You can have Icewm and quiet too.  Cheesy

As outlined in the "Welcome" document, the sounds are found in "~/.icewm/sounds". The easiest way to get rid of them is to just delete them. To prevent their return when creating a new user, delete all wave files in "/etc/skel/.icewm/sounds".
craptop

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 09:09:03 am »

Thanks, I'll try deleting the sound files, that seems like a simple fix, and I'm a simple kind of guy.  Cheesy

Vector Linux should still seriously consider disabling these annoying sounds as the default for a new installation of VL Light.

I love almost everything about this fantastic distro.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 10:18:03 am »

I extracted the contents of the 6.0 light live iso to a usb stick and tried to boot off of it but it didn't work. What am I missing? I am trying to run it from the usb stick just like a live cd.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 03:12:48 am »

I extracted the contents of the 6.0 light live iso to a usb stick and tried to boot off of it but it didn't work. What am I missing? I am trying to run it from the usb stick just like a live cd.

How about picking this up in the "LIVE" feedback thread..  did you use the "vl-usb-install" launcher?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:12 am »

How about picking this up in the "LIVE" feedback thread..  did you use the "vl-usb-install" launcher?

Oops, sorry. That's where I meant to post this.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
LU7HQW

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 04:15:03 pm »

Hi Everybody !!!

I'm glad to be a VL user again.

I tried (and still trying) to use this beautiful distro on a Duron 800 MHz, 384 MB RAM DIMM PC133 (4 for video on-board), HDD 15 GB 5400 RPM, and a PCCHIPS M810 mobo, and a 1 GB swap partition.
VL is sharing the HDD with an hasefroch XP modified by me to be light some years ago. And it's notorious when i use VL for a while, starts to put heavy, slow. But at any time it's slower than hasefroch.

I supposed VL have to be faster than hasefroch, but i cannot understand why it's slower. And using IceWM (i love this environment).

The applications that i used frecuently are Opera 10.10, Pidgin, Abiword and Evince, nothing more...

I have to congratulate to all VL team by the work made, and the continuous support of all the community of VL users.

PD: Sorry my poor english.

Aldo, from Argentina.
themotorman

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 09:49:16 pm »

Please let us know how this release is working for you.

Installed on older laptop Dell5000 and it sounds like the hard drive is constantly jumping around. System looks like it goes into super slow motion. Is this older machine capable of working with this? Don't want to giv e up yet 'cause VL6.0 light is it's last chance for usefulness on this planet!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 12:54:05 am »

Please let us know how this release is working for you.

Installed on older laptop Dell5000 and it sounds like the hard drive is constantly jumping around. System looks like it goes into super slow motion. Is this older machine capable of working with this? Don't want to giv e up yet 'cause VL6.0 light is it's last chance for usefulness on this planet!

Got jumping sound from the hard disk? Could it be the hard disk is faulty?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2009, 11:51:33 am »

If it's really running with 32 megs of RAM, that might explain the hard drive thrashing. You don't have enough RAM, so the system is constantly hitting the swap file.

You might try something lighter than VL Light. I used something called BasicLinux several years ago on a computer with 16 megs. It was quite painful. There are distros that run on less RAM than VL6 Light, but I don't know what they are. I'm sure someone here could fill you in on that.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 03:35:22 am »

Just seen this; I know it's an old thread.

Basic Linux works well on computers with 32 MB of RAM; it was what got me started with Linux. I ran Basic Linux 2.1 on a Pentium P1 (100 MHz) for more than two years before I got my present mnachine, and I was able to browse the web using Opera.

The modern version (Basic Linux 3) runs off two floppies, and I've used it to post online when my hard drive failed (using a text browser). It's basically a one man effort (developed by Steven Darnold, with a handful of other people contributing packages). I think it deserves praise.

What else runs in 16 MB? You could try Deli Linux, especially 7.1, which like Basic Linux is based on an early version of Slackware. Or possibly one of the low resource versions of Puppy, such as PULP or Puppy Turbo (or Turbo Extreme).

But really you're better off getting more RAM, especially if you want to browse the Internet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:02:56 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: