VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 10:11:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 Light released.  (Read 31206 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 01, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »

The VectorLinux team is pleased to announce the final release of VL6.0 Light.
Find it here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-Light-Final.iso
md5sum 770b8789100a8097f3d200561205c0bb

Light is aimed at users with some Linux experience. It is biased towards technical simplicity and high performance. Based on VL6.0 Standard, the most resource hungry applications have been removed or replaced with lighter alternatives. Running services are kept to a minimum.

Default user interface is IceWM with Pcmanfm as your file and desktop manager. Alternate window manager is JWM. Opera provides a fast and standards-compliant web browser with Flashplayer 10 and Mplayer plugins, as well as e-mail and bittorrent clients. Firefox is also available. For local multimedia playback you will find Xmms, Gmplayer and Xine. Record audio with flrec. Vburn takes care of basic CD burning tasks. The Wicd network manager makes it easy to manage wireless connections. Pidgin Instant Messenger works with IRC, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Google talk and several other services. The ultra-light Siag Office provides basic word processing and spreadsheet functionality. Graphics are handled by Gqview, Xpdf and Mtpaint. Additional programs include Xarchiver, Leafpad, Ripperx, Xchat, Gftp, Dillo, HV3 and the Fox applications. You can choose between the GDM or KDM login managers. GDM has the advantage of offering easy localization for non-English users. Default auto-mounter for removable devices is vl-hot.

An optional "dev" package makes it a complete Linux workstation which includes a full development environment for programming and compiling code. Full kernel sources are also included. Alongside a huge array of typical Linux command line utilities and software you get scripting languages, man pages, documentation and a complete console based on bash. Multiple toolkits are installed, supporting a wide variety of applications. The system can be further expanded using the package manager or your own packages.

It is recommended that your system meets these requirements:
Pentium 200 or better compatible processor (i586 and up).
64 MB of memory - but 128 MB will greatly improve performance.
Hard disk space: 2 GB for an install with X-window system, Internet and multimedia applications. 3 GB for "everything". Absolute minimum is 1.1 GB.

The 617 MB CD Image is created using low compression, which greatly speeds up the installation on slower machines. The disc contains boot floppy images for computers that are unable to boot from a CDROM drive.

After you try VectorLinux Light, please come back and post your feedback here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9199.0
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:39:09 pm »

YAY
Tommy599

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:12:52 am »

Awesome! Will give it a go over the weekend!! Thank you!

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:13:07 am »

Fantastic! working well here
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:34:03 am »

Hey and a first for light we made the front page of distrowatch.com for this release.................. Grin

cheers,
Vec
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 08:00:54 am »

Congratulations Nightflier, excellent work!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 06:39:17 pm »

Thanks for all your hard work, Nightflier ...

and I am happy that the welcome arrival on April 1st was no April Fool's joke  Grin Grin

- Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
linuxhopper

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:16 pm »

Can I usse xfce with VL 6 Light? I need a little more functionality than is provided by icewm. If so, how do I go about installing it? Can I remove icewm after xfce is installed?
unicyclist

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:39:26 am »

Deleted the rc and installed final. So far, it is installed and running very well.
Thanks to all devs for this great release.
Computer is an IBM Personal Computer 300GL with 256 megs ram at 350 mhz.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:36:36 pm by unicyclist » Logged

IBM Personal Computer 300GL, 350 mhz, 256 megs ram, VL6.0 Lite
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 06:54:09 am »

Can I usse xfce with VL 6 Light? I need a little more functionality than is provided by icewm. If so, how do I go about installing it? Can I remove icewm after xfce is installed?

Adding XFCE to VL Light brings it back to the starting point of VL Standard. Use Standard instead.

Icewm is an optional package on install for those who want a bare bone JWM interface.
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 10:32:51 am »

Congratulations on the light release. Nice desktop theme. Clean icewm menus. Good choice in ice gil theme. I was curious - I know how to launch urxvt with transparency and I know how to launch urxvt with tabs, but so far I've been unsuccessful at launching urxvt with both options. Can you give me a hint please? Thanks.

john
Tommy599

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »

Congratulations on the light release. Nice desktop theme. Clean icewm menus. Good choice in ice gil theme. I was curious - I know how to launch urxvt with transparency and I know how to launch urxvt with tabs, but so far I've been unsuccessful at launching urxvt with both options. Can you give me a hint please? Thanks.

john

Set the terminal to urxvt in pcmanfm preferences and then press F4. It works for me.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light Final
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 @ 500Mhz/128MB/20GB
Registered Linux user #470287
t599.mybrute.com <- can you defeat me?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 12:16:33 pm »

Look in ~/.Xdefaults for urxvt options.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 02:19:39 pm »

I downloaded 6.0 Light this week and am using it now, it looks good (nice fonts in particular) and seems to be working well. Thanks for all your hard work.

wltdwiz

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »

bravo to the team . im impressed..... 6.0 works fast & you put some great stuff in
finely a distro that brings life back to the dinosaurs.... it worked in the lowest of the low 400 mz pentium  processor.. 128 ram labtop..  nothing would even load in this 1 but its running lightning fast like a new 1 on vector light 6.0..
well done  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: