VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 06:21:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another multi-boot question...  (Read 805 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: April 02, 2009, 01:37:54 pm »

Windows XP install seems to consider itself to be the only OS you'd want to install - or said another way, I've never seen a Win install *ask* which partition I'd like to install on ... it just seems to assume a "c:" drive - right?  Or is there an undocumented way to get the win-os installer to aim at a specific partition?

(I understand that PartedMagic can sort this out later ... but it'd be nice not to do that.)

What I'm aiming at is 2 drives - one with W'doz and the other with my proper OS'es  Tongue such as VL Smiley

I am planning on using GrannyGeek's method of putting Win on first, install the 'Nuxes/lilo, then put the dd'ed copy of the boot area of each linux on the C: drive --- and have the Windows boot loader offer the OS menu.

Do you all think this will work OK ? 
Just would like some peace of mind before I begin a nuclear assault on my drives Smiley

thanks much
- Howard
~~~~~~
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:41:55 pm by Windozer » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:03:25 pm »

Windows XP install seems to consider itself to be the only OS you'd want to install - or said another way, I've never seen a Win install *ask* which partition I'd like to install on ... it just seems to assume a "c:" drive - right?  Or is there an undocumented way to get the win-os installer to aim at a specific partition?

Smiley I think it would be more accurate to say that XP considers itself to be the only OS you're going to install...

I have managed to get it to install to other than the first primary partition on the drive, but even then, it insisted on putting its bootloader and some sys files on the first primary. Its safer just to let it have its way.

On the other hand, Linux does not require a primary partition, and doesn't care much where you install it, so long as there is sufficient room....

(I understand that PartedMagic can sort this out later ... but it'd be nice not to do that.)

I'm not sure that is a good idea - XP has pretty fixed ideas about what partitions are allocated, and shuffling them after install can cause it terminal confusion.

What I'm aiming at is 2 drives - one with W'doz and the other with my proper OS'es  Tongue such as VL Smiley

I am planning on using GrannyGeek's method of putting Win on first, install the 'Nuxes/lilo, then put the dd'ed copy of the boot area of each linux on the C: drive --- and have the Windows boot loader offer the OS menu.

Do you all think this will work OK ? 
Just would like some peace of mind before I begin a nuclear assault on my drives Smiley

That should work without problems. I've got Vista on my T61. After I finally convinced it to shrink to a reasonable size, I used EasyBCD to set its boot loader up as the primary boot menu, then let it select Grub which controls all my Linux installations (at the moment I've got Zenwalk 6.0, Vector 5.9 (for package building purposes), Vector 6.0 and Zenwalk 6.0 snapshot (the unstable branch) installed and selectable via the Grub menu). I use Grub because I find it much easier to set up for multiple Linux distributions than Lilo.

paul.
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:21:43 pm »

Quote from: toothandnail
[...] more accurate to say that XP considers itself to be the only OS you're going to install...

Thanks Paul, I stand corrected!  Cheesy

>> let PartedMagic loose on XP's turf

I'm not sure that is a good idea - XP has pretty fixed ideas about what partitions are allocated, and shuffling them after install can cause it terminal confusion.

Windows confused? Preposterious!  Shocked

>> 2 drive setup

That should work without problems.

Cool thanks for the vote of confidence ... Stand back ... I am about to hit the Big_Red_Button();

I use Grub because I find it much easier to set up for multiple Linux distributions than Lilo.

Interesting, I've done it the other way round as it seems like it's easier during each install to let it use lilo ... but then again, I've not really used grub that often... maybe I should research it more.

thanks again!
cheers
- Howard
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:23:47 pm by Windozer » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: