VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 02:59:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Download / Install New and Existing Applications Properly***SOLVED***  (Read 1325 times)
GoodFoodHunting

He shoots! He... damn...!! Where's the beer?

« on: April 01, 2009, 04:57:50 am »

Oooh... but I bet this will qualify as a dumb question...   Embarrassed

Anyhoo, here goes.  I have just JOYFULLY downloaded VL6 from CD.  I am already online and having fun with things but, I've run into a snag or two.  Hopefully, they are but speed bumps, at least for now that's what they feel like.  BUT... they are hindering me from doing two things, namely, downloading and or installing new apps and because of that, I wonder, what is the proper way of downloading and installing new applications in VL6?

When I went to install Audacity, Adobe Flash, Realplayer and Skype my computer asked me what helper applications I wished to open them with?  Good question since I had so many choices, I didn't really know.  And when I did THINK I knew, such as when I tried to open up Filezilla with Firefox (which I thought was an easy partnership...) I still don't have it open and functional.  It's sitting pretty on my desktop in what appears to be some sort of pre-install mode. 

And that's why I asked earlier, "what is the proper way of downloading and installing new applications in VL6?" 

And it's also why I feel damn dumb for asking, even though I need to ask this.  LOL! 

Oh, and my sound is not working, which is WHY I was trying to download and install some of those packages in the first place. 

I thank all who answer! 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:25:45 pm by GoodFoodHunting » Logged

If you really want to know about me just ask.  If I really want to answer you, I will.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:26:09 am »

Good questions.

Your first stop should be the Gslapt Package Manager. It's on the menu under "System". Hit the "Update" button before doing anything else. To get access to more software, click Edit > Preferences > Sources and check the box for the "testing" repo. Important: Do not use "Mark All Upgrades" with testing enabled!

Adobe Flash comes pre-installed on VL6. Audacity is in repo. Realplayer .. Undecided.. Xine, VLC and Mplayer do all that I need. Filezilla: there are other ftp clients available, like gftp. Skype: Try downloading this one: http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.1/network/skype/2.0.0.72/skype-2.0.0.72-i686-1sl.tgz and install it as root, in a terminal, using the "installpkg" command.

Sound: As root, in a terminal, try running "alsaconf". When it's done, use "alsamixer". Use up arrow to increase volume, right arrow to move to next item.. move all sliders up and try your sound again.
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »

Great questions, GFH. I was there not too long ago, but this forum is stocked with polite and very knowledgeable people like Nightflier.

On the subject of Skype, I have had great results with the VL5.9 Skype package (it is the latest version of skype). See my post:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7542.msg61083#msg61083

Just download it, go to the directory you downloaded to, make sure your other skype packages are not in the directory and type:

su (to become root)

installpkg skype<Tab> (to get exactly the right package name)
<Enter>

This gave me a desktop icon and all.

Keep asking questions.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:20:08 pm »

Sorry, You did not get the Dumb Question award.

Maybe next time Smiley

Bigpaws
GoodFoodHunting

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »

Well, here's an update folks!

I have beautiful video on anything I choose to view.  Be it MSNBC, YouTube, RedTube, The History Channel, you name it... it all looks good.

I do not feel, at this time that it is necessary to install RealPlayer since I have Xine, VLC and MPlayer.  Really, my Dennis Leary DVD never looked better.

And I won't tinker with Skype.  Not at least until I have solved one final problem and that is NO Sound...aargghh!!  Shocked  LOL!

As root, in a terminal, I did indeed try to run "alsaconf" and when it finished, I entered "alsamixer".  But... while it appeared that initiating "alsaconf" seemed to work, it appears that initiating alsamixer did nothing for me  Undecided  I did not see any function that appeared so as to allow me to use the up arrow to increase volume, right arrow to move to next item.. move all sliders up and try my sound again.

So before I do anything more on my own I am just throwing that update/question back out there.  Oh, and by the way, the graphics are impressive on VL6 folks, really.

If you really want to know about me just ask.  If I really want to answer you, I will.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:50:26 pm »

Hello GoodFoodHunting:

I seem to remember you having a number of webcams.  You sound may be effected by having a webcam plugged in if that webcam is picked up as a sound device.  Try rebooting with the webcam unplugged and see if you get sound then.

Here a little video tour of sound on VL standard gold.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/sound/sound.htm
It should get you familiar with the basics and maybe answer your alsamixer problem.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GoodFoodHunting

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »

You know what?  Strange that you mention that since I saw that the system recognized My Hercules Webcam's audio mike.  I do have the Unibrain Fire-wire web camera still plugged in but since that doesn't have any audio input or output devices on it, I should be fine just unplugging the Hercules and leaving the Unibrain plugged in right?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:10:41 pm »

This should help with the sound problem

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4888.0

Be sure you setup your soundcard as default audio device and pick any order for the webcams.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GoodFoodHunting

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »

Well, I did as instructed.  I pulled the Hercules webcam, restarted the computer and WOW!!  That sound is almost as impressive as the video on VL6!!  Thanks folks!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:03:55 am by GoodFoodHunting » Logged

GoodFoodHunting

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 03:30:18 am »

Oh, and Stretched thin, thanks for the link to the video walk through.  That sort of thing is helpful to us ADD folks.  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: