VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 07:28:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Default applications  (Read 2080 times)
arundracula

« on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:09 am »

I was using VL 6.0 GOLD STD.

Yesterday, may be I have done something, I don't remember.....

Today when I login, the default applications for all files has been changed. When I click html, txt, all are changed to some other applications. The icons are changed. audio file icons are changed.
All I can see is that "executable" icon and "mousepad" icons. Even .jpg files are recognized as executables.
Double clicking on jpg file won't open any softwares. Right click will show the first option as execute.
.tar.gz file icons are of text file type icons, but double clicking will open xarchiver.
double clicking on a pdf file will open in mozilla(Previously it was opened in evince)
text files are now opening in mozilla.

My shortcuts- link to application are also opening in mousepad.
I can see .desktop files on my desktop. And if I double click, it will open in mousepad.

Some flv/jpg files have different icons in the same folder.

These all are same in Thunar or PCMan File Manager.

No use on root login or newly created user.
There are two types of recognized filetypes - executable and plain text document.
How can I reset this thing?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:16:35 am by arundracula » Logged

Re-installing is not a problem, but it is when I had to.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:10:08 pm »

I seem to remember something similar happening to me in 5.9. I think what I had done to get myself into that situation was switch my window manager to metacity.  I don't think you could have switched to metacity, but maybe something else.
It's just a shot in the dark but try.
xfwm4 --replace
in the terminal.

Sorry, it's been so long I don't remember exactly.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:33:50 pm »

You can try also running this command:

Code:
xfce-mcs-manager

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
arundracula

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:39:54 am »

No use.
I run these in the terminal. Do I have to run it in the linux tui mode?

If I re install VL, how can I prevent this thing happen again?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:14:32 am »

No use.
I run these in the terminal. Do I have to run it in the linux tui mode?

Nope, an X terminal emulator is fine.

If I re install VL, how can I prevent this thing happen again?

It can be a permissions problem also, check that all the config files in your home dir, specialy the ones in ~/.config are owned by your user and not root.
I would try a bit more before reinstalling, I guess we will have to know the root of the problem to know how to prevent it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
arundracula

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 08:55:22 am »

I re-installed VL 6.0.

After that I noticed something. This may be related with the previous problem. I don't know about that.

After installation, I logged in directly into my account instead of going into root. Then the taskbar was shown in cream-white color instead of black. Also in the desktop, there are some shortcut files like help.desktop, vasm.desktop can be seen. All these have no proper icons. When double clicking, it opened in medit, and inside the file there was no contents.

So I logged out and entered as root(The root was OK, no problems). I deleted the other account and created a new one. Then the problem was cleared.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 03:42:47 pm »

Weird, I will investigate some. Thanks for the persisence Wink

--
Jumalauta!!
Easymac79

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:39:45 pm »

I cannot think of what you did, since i didn't know what you were doing at the time, but sounds like you clicked on something in supervasm. Try going into supervasm and browse around to see if you can find anything. one wrong click in there, and you lose your entire os.
arundracula

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 02:43:50 am »

I cannot think of what you did, since i didn't know what you were doing at the time, but sounds like you clicked on something in supervasm. Try going into supervasm and browse around to see if you can find anything. one wrong click in there, and you lose your entire os.

I didn't do anything at the time of new installation. I  never have done anything in vasm except mounting partitions. Anyone just try, during installation add a user and after installation go directly to that user instead of root.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:47:31 am by arundracula » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: