VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 05:48:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you configuire a printer ?  (Read 3925 times)
frank56

« on: April 03, 2009, 05:44:32 pm »

I have lenny 6.0 standard. I am on a clone with a soyo Motherboard,  and a Desktop,XFC4, Pentium 3.  Lenny is not detecting my printer. Which is an HP laserjet 6 L. What are the steps I must take to get my printer recognized by Lenny 6.0 ? Frank
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »

Did you do VASMCC, Service, CUPS Printing? You'll get a 404 in the browser, but just add /admin after http://127.0.0.1:631 ( the URL is http://127.0.0.1:631/admin ). Then go through the steps in Adminitration, Add Printer.

If you need help, ask here.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
frank56

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 01:21:35 am »

I was lucky I think, Lenny (v.6.0) does not give me the error 404. I clicked on administration first. It does not find my printer. I guess Cups finds some printers but I was the unlucky one? What are the reasons it did not find my printer on initial try? I hope its not because I lack the necessary drivers; is the reason I am asking. Continuing, I clicked on add a printer.  On the add new printer page there are 3 blanks to fill in. First one asks you for Name, below it gives you a suggestion or options."May contain any printable characters , except "/". "#" or "space". I didnt understand the purpose or what I what name they wanted. The name of the printer? But that seems to go on the 3rd blank. Could I put frank56? myprinter? On the second blank it asks for: "Location". I was totally lost there. It suggests "human-readable location such as lab1". I could use some guidance as I attempt to enter the info at this step. Thanks, Frank
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:09:02 am »

It is not completely automatic..you need to configure your printer and are doing the first step

It's ok ...if you were on a network you would need to know the name and location of the device..if you have a single unit then just call it what you like ...ie frank56, local, printer name(hplaserjet)..then continue

try lpt#1 from the drop down list.. continue (not sure but what I used I think)
choose brand..hp...continue
choose model..hplaserjet6l..choose the one for your language..continue
enter your user name and password
modify settings if you like
click printers..top right
try..print test page

if it does not work you can click stop printer and then delete printer and start again
hope that helps

cheers
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 08:38:40 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
frank56

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:53:30 am »

Amazing!! Grace? Linux? Granny? Overthere? Not really sure but my printer can now print those words. Before long from my Linux Pentium 3, Soyo Motherboard clone. I mean now on this website I am still using Windows Xp. I am a sinner ya know! Thanks Granny, and Overthere.  Here Is some of the steps from the cups printer website. On the first step I called printer franksprinter and for location , somewhere. Than put down descriptions, HP LaserJet 6 L Black and White . At next step I wasn't sure what to put under "DEVICE FOR FRANKSPRINTER". The first option was AppSocket jetdirect. That didnt look like a good match. I looked down the drop down menu. Two options that looked logical were. LPT # 1 and HP Printer (HPLIP). I still dont know what HPLIP means. I randomly picked LPT # 1 and crossed my fingers. Next step it asked for Make/Model or provide PPD file. Being  a newbie I had no idea what a PPD file was., so I entered HP. That took me to a drop down menu that included my Laserjet 6L and I think was the language options. I scratched my already bald head for about 5 minutes and guessed that out those 11 options one of them was English., so I picked, "en GB". Somewhere, in the steps I got a message that said, printer successfully installed or something like that. Being a doubting Thomas, muttered to myself...sure !sure.!Right away I rushed to Abiword and I did not get a response. I dashed back to Cups webpage which I left open the whole time and clicked on the PRINTER TAB. I looked around that page, and notice a "PRINT TEST PAGE". I clicked on that button, and lo and behold I got a test page. I then went back to Abiword and tried again and also got a page to print. At some point I set franksprinter as the default printer.

It took me more than a week but now I have my Actiontec modem running without PERMISSION DENIED. My dad didnt even tell me that. :-). And Also I got my Printer running.  At times I was almost going to give up on linux again but I am glad I persevered. Thank's to everyone that has helped me, Frank
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:59:26 pm »

looks like you have it printing...congrats..and happy vectoring

cheers

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:58:15 pm »

I was lucky I think, Lenny (v.6.0) does not give me the error 404. I clicked on administration first. It does not find my printer. I guess Cups finds some printers but I was the unlucky one? What are the reasons it did not find my printer on initial try? I hope its not because I lack the necessary drivers; is the reason I am asking. Continuing, I clicked on add a printer.  On the add new printer page there are 3 blanks to fill in. First one asks you for Name, below it gives you a suggestion or options."May contain any printable characters , except "/". "#" or "space". I didnt understand the purpose or what I what name they wanted. The name of the printer? But that seems to go on the 3rd blank. Could I put frank56? myprinter? On the second blank it asks for: "Location". I was totally lost there. It suggests "human-readable location such as lab1". I could use some guidance as I attempt to enter the info at this step. Thanks, Frank

CUPS does not find every printer automatically. I recently replaced my faithful old LJ4/4M (1993) with a new LJ P2055dn. The LJ4/4M had a parallel port connection and CUPS never found it automatically. I got a print server for the LJ4/4M and still had to set it up myself. Newer printers usually do get autodetected.

When you install a printer, you have to give it a name but you don't need to fill in a location or description. Those are useful for a business, say, where printers may be in several places and a description would be helpful, but on a home network you can leave those blank. For a name I use the name of the printer, such as Epson or LaserJet or LJ6 in your case, but it really doesn't make any difference.

HPLIP stands for HP Linux Imaging and Printing and is a project that provides drivers for HP inkjets and laser printers and scanners. A PPD is a PostScript Printer Description file. It's a plain text file that describes the capabilities of the printer, such as its resolution, the size paper it prints, the printer margins, and so forth. CUPS can also use PPD files for non-PostScript printers provided by the manufacturer (rarely) or generated by OpenPrinting. See http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/PPDDocumentation for an explanation.

When you chose en_GB for your language, you chose British English.

I set up several differently configured printers for one physical printer so that I can print without having to Set Printer Options every time I want to change a setting. For example, if I want to use 360 dpi and bi-directional printing for my Epson inkjet, I name and set it up as Epson360. For finer printing at 720 dpi and unidirectional printing, I name and set up another printer as Epson 720.

For Basic Server Settings, I have "Show printers shared by other systems" and "Share published printers connected to this system" checked. Then when I want to set up my printers through CUPS on my other networked computers, they're ALREADY INSTALLED when I first open CUPS after installing VectorLinux. It's amazing!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
frank56

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:01:52 am »

Wow! Granny, you indeed know your printing and so many workarounds. No doubt others will find your post very valuable, I sure have.I was successful with lots of help and lots of good guesses.  You have help me take some of the guesswork away. I can see how my interest in photography would benefit by trying to learn as much as you have. The operative word is TRYING. :-).

Great you posted this. I did another install on a Dell Dimension, Pen 2 ,with, lenny also. Using same root and user passwords. Cups, would seem to only see my second install as a network computer and did not give the option to add LPT #1, it just was not on the drop down list or menu. I am guessing Cups knows I already have one printer. In passing, when prompted by Cups, I felt compelled to use root and password, I don't know if could have used my user name and password.

My question, is there a workaround so that Cups sees my Second Install as a first install? I use the same router, on both computers. I tried installing the printer without router and using a modem connection. That did not work. I am trying to find a way to make think Cups this is a first install. I bought this printer at a second hand store, so I don't know its history. I don't even know if the parallel port is dead or working. Everything else seems to work though. I don't know if I am making sense. At any rate, thanks very much! for the very valuable printer/printing info. Frank
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:46:09 pm »

Wow! Granny, you indeed know your printing and so many workarounds.

I don't know that much about printing and especially CUPS. All I know is what I've had to deal with. I tend to do a lot of computer things by rote and afterward I have a hard time explaining what I did.

I can see how my interest in photography would benefit by trying to learn as much as you have. The operative word is TRYING. :-).

I'm not a good photographer, though I have a nice digital camera and take lots of pictures of grandchildren and other family when they're around. I don't usually print photos. Too expensive compared with just taking the file to a photo kiosk in a store and having the prints made--and on good photo paper, to boot. Photo paper for a home printer is very expensive and when you add in the considerable cost of ink, it's cheaper by far to have a photo service do the printing. If you're interested in photography, the Gimp is what you want to learn. Big learning curve for the Gimp but you can do all sorts of wonderful things with your photos.

The other reason I rarely print photos is that I've decided they look better onscreen. Besides the computer screen itself, I can display the photos on our TVs through their DVD players. I also have a 10" digital frame, which is great for viewing photos instead of having 100 photos in frames all over shelves--the Granny school of decorating, as I call it.<g> I remember my grandmother, dead for 48 years now, had every flat surface covered with family photos. I can achieve the same thing by having the digital frame cycle through these precious photos. I can carry photos around in my Sony Clie PDA--just a small device instead of a wallet loaded with 100 photos. I'm not saying there's no advantage to printed photos in some cases--photos you want to enlarge, for example. But for viewing snapshots, I see many reasons for using digital devices.

I did another install on a Dell Dimension, Pen 2 ,with, lenny also. Using same root and user passwords. Cups, would seem to only see my second install as a network computer and did not give the option to add LPT #1, it just was not on the drop down list or menu. I am guessing Cups knows I already have one printer. In passing, when prompted by Cups, I felt compelled to use root and password, I don't know if could have used my user name and password.

I'm not sure I understand the situation. I do know that when CUPS ask for a username and password, you can use your user name, not root, and user password. Root can always run CUPS and make modifications to installed printers. When you're running CUPS as root, you are telling it what user can do the same.

I assume that when you say a second install on the Dell computer, you want to use your LaserJet that's on lpt1 of the first computer. Yes? Here I run into trouble because I haven't had a printer connected to a parallel port for years. My old LJ4 was connected to a print server, not a parallel port, and my Epson is also connected to a print server. My new LJ P2055dn has built-in networking. I have a Canon inkjet connected to a USB port on one computer. It's the only one not on a print server. Let me investigate a bit more to see if I can figure anything out. CUPS in my two other Linux computers does see that printer.

My question, is there a workaround so that Cups sees my Second Install as a first install?

I'm not sure what you mean. It doesn't matter whether a printer is installed first or later. If the printer is attached to the parallel port of a different computer, you have to install it to something other than LPT1 on the computer you're using because nothing is on LPT1 there. I'm not sure how to do this for a parallel port printer attached to a different computer. Did you publish the LJ6 through CUPS on the printer it's attached to? That's an option in CUPS, Printers. That may make it visible to your second computer. I'm guessing here. Hopefully someone who knows about this will jump in.

I use the same router, on both computers. I tried installing the printer without router and using a modem connection. That did not work.

Have you set up a network? You need to have a different computer name and the same domain name for each computer on the network. An example would be soyo.frank56 and dell.frank56. Your computer names are soyo and dell and frank56 is your domain. "Domain" is used loosely here because it's not a real domain. In Windows it would be called a workgroup. But doing it this way works! If your router is working as a DHCP server, you use DHCP to assign IP addresses to the computers on your network. After you've completed NETCONF in VASMCC, see if you can ping the other computer. In order for your printers to communicate and allow use of a printer attached to just one of them, you have to have your network working. At least, I think that's right. I use fixed IP addresses for the computers and print servers on my home network and I'm not familiar with using DHCP.

I bought this printer at a second hand store, so I don't know its history. I don't even know if the parallel port is dead or working.

If it's not working, I guess there's no hope.<g> If you get the computers talking to each other by successful pings, we can work on getting the printer recognized by the nonattached computer. If those efforts are unsuccessful, the next step might be to attach the printer directly to the parallel port of your other computer and see if you can set it up there. At least you'll know that the parallel port is working. Then you can put it back on the other computer and we'll know we need to do something else to get it working there.
--GrannyGeek

frank56

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 06:21:45 pm »

Thanks! Granny, like your tips and you gave me another idea. First I need to explain I am not try to network the two computers together or saying it differently I am not trying to set up a network computer or printer. Basically I was checking to see if this computer and its parallel port were functional. From what you said perhaps Cups did not detect a printer on parallel port due to problem with my computer and its did detect ethernet port and went on to try to configure network printer. Just guessing here. I can't comment in detail on what you posted, just that I enjoyed and read every thing you posted. Thanks! , Frank
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:52:31 pm »

..Basically I was checking to see if this computer and its parallel port were functional. From what you said perhaps Cups did not detect a printer on parallel port due to problem with my computer and its did detect ethernet port and went on to try to configure network printer.

I haven't set up a parallel printer on VL 6 but on 5.9 you have to modify your /etc/cups/printers.conf

make sure this line is there:

DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0

see this post:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7009.msg47792#msg47792
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 01:00:41 pm »

If you got a box..installed vl6-std and want to connect a parallel printer...go to vasm/service/hardwareset and check to see that parallel port (for printer) is checked then run cups and add the printer..I just added a cannon bjc2000(2 bucks at a yard sale ) printer with a parallel cable and thats all I had to do. it prints text from web pages and medit well and prints a floor plan with 3dhome architect.all I tested so far..as noted some software may need to be configured for the device and some devices may need a tweak...
cheers
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:13:24 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:24:02 pm »

If you got a box..installed vl6-std and want to connect a parallel printer...go to vasm/service/hardwareset and check to see that parallel port (for printer) is checked then run cups and add the printer

Thanks for bringing up the need to have parallel port enabled.  I always forget about that, since I don't use a parallel port.
--GrannyGeek

frank56

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »

On my second Dell machine Dimension xps R450. I think I found out why Cups could not detect my LPT (parallel Printer).  In The BIOS, Under ADVANCED tab on this machine, first option is PLUG AND PLAY O/S.  I had YES, but I changed it to NO. Rebooted, and then was able to see LPT#1 when I opened CUPS. After that it was a breeze, I printed a test page. My conclusion is linux is not a plug and play operating system. And I could be wrong, so someone correct me please.  Conclusion number 2 is that ohce Cups knew there was a Parallel Printer connected to LPT 1, it then gave the option to configure LPT #1 printer (in addition the the other default options). But I am not ready to quit my day job to be a printer configurator. <smile> Frank
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »

Frank56, thank you so much!
I had problems detecting my parallel port for about half a year now. I googled my eyes out, and scratched my head until there was a hole in it, but nothing helped.
I have Dell Dimension XPS D333, so I read about your experience on xps R450 and tried it myself. Sure enough I can use my parallel port and print again!
I would have never thought about switching to "NO" on the "PLUG AND PLAY O/S" option.
Thank you so much once more.
This just made my day.

-Viktor

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: