VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 08:05:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: right click and copy/paste  (Read 1629 times)
ms2542

« on: April 06, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »

I installed Vector about 3 weeks ago and I love it but there is one issue that keeps bugging me.  Sometimes I'll have a file that I want to copy to my desktop.  In windows, I was able to right click and select copy and then go over to my desktop and right click and select paste and whatever the file is, it would appear on the desktop.  That doesn't seem to be an option with Xfce or KDE.  Is there anyway to add that particular command?  If not, where could I find information on how to programming it in?

Thanks! 
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:00:38 pm »

Hi...not sure what you are wanting to copy to desktop but...
similar to what you desire..if you want to have files or folders in your home directory on the desktop simply open the file manager,goto your home directory (or folder within) right click and click copy then goto /home in the file manager double click desktop then rightclick and paste...the file is on the desktop...close the file manager...double click the desktop icon and it opens..ie text in default editor...vid in default player.....folder opens to show content

if you want applications then in the file manager goto /usr/share/applications and right click the application then paste to  /home/desktop as mentioned..in some cases this requires root access depending on the application or file

hope that helps
cheers
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:05:30 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:11 pm »

I don't know how to duplicate the Paste to the desktop as Windows does it, but if you open Thunar and have some of the desktop showing, you can drag a file with the left mouse button and drop it on the desktop and it will be copied. This is with XFce.

You can also drag and drop to the Desktop with XFE file manager, which you can install through Gslapt. In my experience, with XFE if you hold down the Shift key while you're dragging and dropping, the file will be *moved* to the desktop. If you hold down Control while you're dragging and dropping, the file will be *copied* to the desktop.

And of course with a dual-pane file manager like XFE and Midnight Commander, you can move or copy from one directory to the Desktop directory in the other pane.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
ms2542

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 04:19:40 am »

When I tried dragging the file last time it would not copy itself to the desktop for some reason.  I just tried it about 5 minutes ago and it worked.  This was the reason I wanted the copy/paste command added to the menu but since I can drag a file or a link, this will suffice. 

Thanks again!
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »

Another way to copy things (files or text and such) is to go to it in the file manager (for files) and highlight the file, probably by holding down the left mouse button dragging a square around it. The file will then be highlighted and if you go somewhere else and click the scroll wheel button, it pastes it wherever you are.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:12:41 pm »

Another way to copy things (files or text and such) is to go to it in the file manager (for files) and highlight the file, probably by holding down the left mouse button dragging a square around it. The file will then be highlighted and if you go somewhere else and click the scroll wheel button, it pastes it wherever you are.

Could you explain this a bit more? What file manager? Do you go somewhere else in the file manager?

I tried this with Thunar and it didn't do anything from Thunar to the desktop. I tried highlighting a file and going somewhere else in Thunar and clicking the scroll wheel and nothing happened. What am I missing?
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:10:36 pm »

Here's one that has been missed for Thunar in xfce.

Right click on any file no matter where you are, choose > 'Send to'  then > 'Desktop Create Link'

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »

That's really helpful, stretchedthin. Thanks!
--GrannyGeek

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:37:38 am »

GrannyGeek, sorry, I guess highlighting only works with copying text. For the highlighting method, you have to highlight the file and use Ctrl C to copy and Ctrl V to paste.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:25:29 pm »

GrannyGeek, sorry, I guess highlighting only works with copying text. For the highlighting method, you have to highlight the file and use Ctrl C to copy and Ctrl V to paste.

Thanks for the correction. Highlighting text and pasting with the middle button or wheel is one of Linux's handiest features.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: