VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 06:08:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused on getting the live cd working (UNSOLVED still on 4/11)  (Read 3510 times)
doomgaze

« on: April 08, 2009, 07:11:51 pm »

Well I have to make a live cd for a project for class and I can't get it to work.

so I went to:
http://vectorlinux.com/downloads
and downloaded this:

and after the download I get two folders a boot and VLSTD.

If I double click the batchfile in the 'boot' folder I get this:

(the first time I clicked it it said something along the lines of, "if you're installing linux on the same partition as your windows it will delete windows" so I X'd out of that.
Oh, I was opening it from the desktop so this is what I was seeing:

and when I go to 'VLSTD' and click the batch file there I get this:

I dragged both the folders on a blank CD and burned them and when i restart it doesn't boot up on startup.

I feel as though I am doing something wrong, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:45:52 pm by doomgaze » Logged
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:39:49 pm »

Hi
not sure what you downloaded from the download page but if you want a live cd of vector you need to download one of the live cd.iso's and then burn the .iso image to a cd...most cd burning applications have a burn iso image to cd tool..

I think there are three live versions...light bata, 5.9-std live and a soho live..choose the one that is best for you...

this may help with the burn..I used deepburn on windows but it has been a while..

http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

hope that helps
cheers

edit: once you have the .iso image burned to a cd you will need to reboot the computer with the live cd in the cd drive and the computer bios set to boot from the cd drive.

computers vary..some use an "f" key to enter setup and some use the "del" key..change the boot sequence to boot the cd drive then save and exit setup.

if you need more help just ask here
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:22:58 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:21 pm »

I just tried the same download link you did and the ISO begins to download correctly. I wonder if the problem lies in the association of ISO on your system.

An ISO file is essentially a container for a bunch of data.  I holds all necessary files to create a valid CD the way the author intended, including bootable information.  You could think of it like a ZIP file but for CD/DVDs and with extra power.

MANY applications can read an ISO image to show you the contents (winzip, winrar, ultraiso, poweriso, etc, etc), and it's possible that Vista has the capability to read ISO contents as well.  It may be that the file you downloaded is being represented in such a manner that it looks like a directory with data inside of it.

I would recommend you start your burning software (Nero, Roxio, Freeburner, deepburn, etc).  From one of the menu options look for an option to 'burn image to disc' (or other similarly worded option).  It should prompt you to find the image (i.e. ISO) file to burn. Select your Vectorlinux 5.9 Live ISO image, plop in a blank cd in your burner, and burn the cd at a slower speed 8x, 16x, 24x (no faster than that).  When it's done, reboot your computer with your cd in the cdrom and (assuming your system is set to check the cdrom at boot) you should be taken into the live booting routine.

Hope this helps.
doomgaze

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 04:27:34 am »

Hi
not sure what you downloaded from the download page but if you want a live cd of vector you need to download one of the live cd.iso's and then burn the .iso image to a cd...most cd burning applications have a burn iso image to cd tool..

I think there are three live versions...light bata, 5.9-std live and a soho live..choose the one that is best for you...

this may help with the burn..I used deepburn on windows but it has been a while..

http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

hope that helps
cheers

edit: once you have the .iso image burned to a cd you will need to reboot the computer with the live cd in the cd drive and the computer bios set to boot from the cd drive.

computers vary..some use an "f" key to enter setup and some use the "del" key..change the boot sequence to boot the cd drive then save and exit setup.

if you need more help just ask here

I downloaded:

and downloaded this:

doomgaze

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:31:01 am »

I just tried the same download link you did and the ISO begins to download correctly. I wonder if the problem lies in the association of ISO on your system.

An ISO file is essentially a container for a bunch of data.  I holds all necessary files to create a valid CD the way the author intended, including bootable information.  You could think of it like a ZIP file but for CD/DVDs and with extra power.

MANY applications can read an ISO image to show you the contents (winzip, winrar, ultraiso, poweriso, etc, etc), and it's possible that Vista has the capability to read ISO contents as well.  It may be that the file you downloaded is being represented in such a manner that it looks like a directory with data inside of it.

I would recommend you start your burning software (Nero, Roxio, Freeburner, deepburn, etc).  From one of the menu options look for an option to 'burn image to disc' (or other similarly worded option).  It should prompt you to find the image (i.e. ISO) file to burn. Select your Vectorlinux 5.9 Live ISO image, plop in a blank cd in your burner, and burn the cd at a slower speed 8x, 16x, 24x (no faster than that).  When it's done, reboot your computer with your cd in the cdrom and (assuming your system is set to check the cdrom at boot) you should be taken into the live booting routine.

Hope this helps.

I dragged both the "boot" folder and the "VLSTD" folder and burned them on a cd, don't know why I didn't mention that and it didn't boot on start up.

Should I not have the files in folders? How do I set my computer to boot from the CD drive?
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 05:07:53 am »

Hi
When I read the post I did not see the banner for 5.9 for some reason..just text. I am on another machine and see it now..so you downloaded vl5.9 live..you should have downloaded an iso from the link..did you extract the content of the iso? if you downloaded an .iso then you need to burn the .iso image to a cd...where did you download the file to..go to explorer and find the folder you downloaded to and see if you have the iso

to access the bios.. during boot you usually see a message telling you what to press to enter setup.. like f1, f10, del etc..what is the computer brand and model..maby I can find out for you..some newer machines boot fast so you have to be quick to get in..my acer has a boot menu if I hit f12..

so did you download an iso file? something like VL5.9-std-live.iso

if so then burn the image to a cd..I posted a link for several burners if you do not know how to do it. you are not burning the the iso as data to a cd for storage you are burning the iso IMAGE to a cd so you can boot it.

it may seem complicated but it is really simple..once you get it..like riding a bike...

if you need more help keep posting here and someone will help you

cheers
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:19:16 am by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:19:27 am »

Again, an ISO file (which is what you should have downloaded) is a perfect replica of a physical CD or DVD (CD in the case of VL 5.9 Live).  It is a digital representation of of a physical CD.  As such, it can re-create the original physical CD if burned correctly.  To be burned correctly, you will need to burn the image (the ISO) to a CD using a special feature of your burning software.

-Please locate and confirm that you have downloaded and still have this file: "VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final.iso"
-Next, please indicate what burning software you have installed on your system

With the above requirements met we will better be able to help you get the CD burned correctly.
doomgaze

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 12:01:55 pm »

Again, an ISO file (which is what you should have downloaded) is a perfect replica of a physical CD or DVD (CD in the case of VL 5.9 Live).  It is a digital representation of of a physical CD.  As such, it can re-create the original physical CD if burned correctly.  To be burned correctly, you will need to burn the image (the ISO) to a CD using a special feature of your burning software.

-Please locate and confirm that you have downloaded and still have this file: "VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final.iso"
-Next, please indicate what burning software you have installed on your system

With the above requirements met we will better be able to help you get the CD burned correctly.

if you can't see the picture I do still have "VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final.iso"

I don't recall ever download anything for burning, just the default. for sony vaio computers
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:03:36 pm by doomgaze » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »

Looks like you have the ISO file type associated to WinRar on your system, which is fine, but it also the reason you're seeing what you see and getting what you get.  WinRar is a file compression software which can read the ISO filetype and present it to the user as though it were a ZIP file.  You probably inadvertantly extracted the contents of the ISO file to your desktop which would explain the folders you're seeing.  Let's ignore the directories and work with the 'VL5.9-STD-LIVE-Final' file.

I would recommend you download and install ImgBurn (freeware): http://www.imgburn.com/ .  Then start it and choose the 'Write Image File to Disc'; navigate to your ISO file (the one highlighted in your screenshot); and burn away.  Once it's burned you can reboot and (assuming your system is configured appropriately) the live CD will begin to boot.

Hope this helps.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 01:01:33 pm »

hopefully your system is already set to boot a cd.. however  the bios for the sony viao should be accessable with F1,F2 or F3 depending on the model if it helps here is a link which suggests f2 and f3 ..heed the warnings and only change the boot sequence.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

hope it helps

cheers

Everything Is Relative
doomgaze

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 01:24:09 pm »

I got a boot CD to burn with that imageburn but now it loads "udev" and gets stuck..I left it there for 15 minutes and still was at the same spot.

Suggestions? Remake a CD? In the middle of the imburn it opened my diskdrive, dunno why, but I closed it and it continued burning.

is it suppose to do that?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:15:46 pm by doomgaze » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:58:34 pm »

Should be OK. See if the CD will boot. If not just try burning another one. Possibly bad media or faulty CD burner.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
doomgaze

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »

Tried it..I've booted from what it goes to if you don't do anything and I tried the command line both get stuck at a certain spot and doesn't go any further.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 03:07:43 pm »

Regarding the 'middle of imgburn opened disk drive': I notice that 'Verify' is checked which means that the cd will be checked against the original files (ISO) to make sure it's readable and correctly written.  This is likely why the drive tray pops open half way through the process. In other words, the burn sounds like it was successful.

Regarding the error message: I assume that your cdrom is NOT a standard full-size cdrom about 6 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall.  If this is true then the error message you're seeing is related to that, and the fact that it can't close the cdrom tray since there are no mechanics controlling that feature.  In other words, the error message is normal for a cdrom containing no load-tray mechanics.

Regarding the 'udev and gets stuck': It sounds like your burn was successful and your system is set to boot from CD.  It also sounds like you make it part way through the boot process before the 'udev' lag spot.  I'm not sure how you would go about trying to resolve this kind of problem using a Live media.  All I can think of is the potential of passing a boot argument to lilo but am not certain what argument would be best (noapic, acpi=off, etc.). Many folks around here know more about these kinds of troubles than myself. I expect that they stop by fairly soon.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 03:47:31 pm »

well doomgaze on a positive note you have made some progress but it is beyond my scope aswell...

there is a thread here with regard to noacpi acpi=off related to a hang at coldplugging...worth a try perhaps..

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9130.0

you may want to add (UNSOLVED) to the thread name as the thread is getting long then solved if you hit the answer...

cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: