VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 05:17:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confused on getting the live cd working (UNSOLVED still on 4/11)  (Read 3799 times)
doomgaze

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 04:23:00 pm »

well doomgaze on a positive note you have made some progress but it is beyond my scope aswell...

there is a thread here with regard to noacpi acpi=off related to a hang at coldplugging...worth a try perhaps..

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9130.0

you may want to add (UNSOLVED) to the thread name as the thread is getting long then solved if you hit the answer...

cheers

I'll give that a try.

I appreciate everyone helping me.

Didn't work, I am not exactly sure how I enter it..do I delete the /boot/../ whatever it and then type it? do I just type it?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:51:35 pm by doomgaze » Logged
doomgaze

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 06:28:59 am »

Posting from Linux...It works on my school computers but still doesn't work on my laptop.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:35 am »

You said that the cd booted but got stuck when it got to "udev". I have had that same problem occasionally with a live cd. If you press the "Esc" key, at any time during boot, it will show you exactly what it is doing during boot up instead of just "setting up udev" or whatever. You might see some error messages or something useful. To solve this problem, I just rebooted the computer and tried again and it worked. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but make sure you don't have any usb storage media plugged into your computer when you are trying to boot the live cd. There was a usb drive plugged into my computer when I had the problem and when I unplugged and rebooted it, everything went fine. Again, I am not completely sure that that was the problem.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
doomgaze

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:05 am »

You said that the cd booted but got stuck when it got to "udev". I have had that same problem occasionally with a live cd. If you press the "Esc" key, at any time during boot, it will show you exactly what it is doing during boot up instead of just "setting up udev" or whatever. You might see some error messages or something useful. To solve this problem, I just rebooted the computer and tried again and it worked. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but make sure you don't have any usb storage media plugged into your computer when you are trying to boot the live cd. There was a usb drive plugged into my computer when I had the problem and when I unplugged and rebooted it, everything went fine. Again, I am not completely sure that that was the problem.

I didn't have my jump drive the first few times I tried then I did and it still didn't work.

Tried it on my friend's sony Vaio and it didn't work either got stuck at the same spot.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 10:21:58 am »

Have you tried pressing "Esc" during boot to see if there are any error messages? Also, have you checked the md5sum of the iso file? If the md5sums do not match up then any cds burnt from that iso will not work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:56:11 am by Daniel » Logged

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 06:30:18 pm »

It may be that you're coming across a situation where the hardware in your (and your friend's) vaio laptop require a modified kernel or requires some modules to load/not_load.  Unfortunately I'm not overly familiar with vaio hardware or how to determine the proper kernel modules for specific hardware.  I would suggest you try disabling some boot features like 'acpi=off' and 'noapic' to see if it changes anything.  Again, unfortunately, I'm not overly familiar with the live VL distros so I cannot be certain how you would pass these parameters during boot.  In a non-live (regularly installed) system you would simply press 'TAB' at the lilo boot prompt, and type something like 'linux acpi=off noapic' without the quotes.  The system would then try booting minus those kernel features.  I'm guessing that the live cd can have boot parameters passed but cannot be certain EXACTLY how one would go about doing this.  Perhaps it's similar enough to a non-live system that my suggestion above would work Huh
doomgaze

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 09:14:00 am »

It may be that you're coming across a situation where the hardware in your (and your friend's) vaio laptop require a modified kernel or requires some modules to load/not_load.  Unfortunately I'm not overly familiar with vaio hardware or how to determine the proper kernel modules for specific hardware.  I would suggest you try disabling some boot features like 'acpi=off' and 'noapic' to see if it changes anything.  Again, unfortunately, I'm not overly familiar with the live VL distros so I cannot be certain how you would pass these parameters during boot.  In a non-live (regularly installed) system you would simply press 'TAB' at the lilo boot prompt, and type something like 'linux acpi=off noapic' without the quotes.  The system would then try booting minus those kernel features.  I'm guessing that the live cd can have boot parameters passed but cannot be certain EXACTLY how one would go about doing this.  Perhaps it's similar enough to a non-live system that my suggestion above would work Huh

I tried those acpi=off things and no luck =\
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 11:34:35 am »

These are suggestions found on the fedora board from folks having similar problems using sony vaios.:

Have you tried booting the live CD on battery (as opposed to plugged into the power supply)? Does it make any difference?

Could you try passing the following kernel option to see if it makes any difference: ec_intr=0
e.g.) linux ec_intr=0

doomgaze

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 05:16:15 pm »

I'll give that a try as soon as I save these files.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »

Hmm..still no luck ah...sorry to here that...I read another thread I thought may be helpfull but now I cannot find it...it suggested no apm(advanced power management) no hlt ( not sure what that is, something to do with hibernation?) acpi=off...this allowed the laptop to boot but hibernation became a solveable issue..another was to stop all acpi with noacpi acpi=off noacpi..it is surely a combination of such commands at boot ...as mentioned hit tab before time out then type: linux noapm nohlt noacpi acpi=off noacpi...on my machine turning off all acpi causes the machine not to shut down..were there any error messages listed when you hit esc during boot?

cheers

Everything Is Relative
doomgaze

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 06:45:34 am »

Who knows why it doesn't work, it worked on my desktop and my school's computers so it's not like I couldn't use it ever, just weird that it doesn't work on my laptop.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:35 am »

Hi
I am sure it is a solveable issue and related to the sony model of laptop..I have used the live cd  on my desktop with success as have you and then installed,,,not haveing a sony viao to play with I am unable to assist, should I see mention of a solution more clear I will certainly post to let you know...

cheers

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: