VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:29:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi-boot query  (Read 887 times)
mick12345678
Vectorite

« on: April 04, 2009, 03:17:51 pm »

I have a dual boot XP/VL5.9 setup that works fine. When I installed 5.9, I let LILO write to the MBR, so I have a single boot menu with XP and 5.9 as the options.

I now want to add VL6.0 to this, using the "install from within Linux" method.

Rather than do it then post a question when I get in a mess, I thought I'd  try to head off trouble at the pass for a change  Wink.

To be safe, I plan to tell the install procedure NOT to let LILO write to the MBR (so it will write instead to the new partition that gets created during the install process).

Q1) if I do this, when I reboot, will I get my old menu (with no new 6.0 option, of course) or will I  get 6.0 starting up automatically, with XP and 5.9 now inaccessible?

Q2) since I already have a Linux Swap partition defined for 5.9, am I right that I can  reuse this for 6.0 as well  ?

Thanks
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 05:17:26 pm »

You could edit your lilo.conf file to include VL 6.0 in the LILO boot menu. I think you would have to tell the 6.0 installer to not install LILO and on reboot I believe the LILO boot menu would appear and you would have to edit the lilo.conf file (/etc/lilo.conf) from VL 5.9. Also, yes, the swap partition can be reused for 6.0.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:19:17 am »

Thanks for the reply  Grin.

you would have to tell the 6.0 installer to not install LILO

I didn't know you could do that..will try it and see.

the swap partition can be reused for 6.0.

That will save space  Cheesy. I thought that, since I plan to install from VL5.9, that would mean the swap partition was "in use" which might flag it as out of bounds for the new install. Will try that too.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 06:18:19 am »

After running the install and skipping LILO, boot to 5.9 and run "vliloconf". It should pick up your new VL partition and add it to the boot menu.
mick12345678
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:26:32 pm »

success  Grin

I used the Lilo SKIP option and then manually edited lilo.conf once back in 5.9.

Now, if I can only get my LAN card working in 6.0   Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: