VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hello and I need a hand already  (Read 1219 times)

garwal

Hello and I need a hand already
« on: April 09, 2009, 04:32:24 pm »

My name is Gary and I am a Linux junkie. I have used some form of Linux for 15 years. I bought the New Gold edition of Vector today and have completed downloading and burning both CD's
The live CD starts to load and I get to the open file part and then it hangs and sits untill it says boot fail and offers to retry. This just repeats itsrlf over again. I am currently using Mint and have loaded over fifty flavours on this box so I am sure it will load. Should I re-download and try again? I will give that a try and see if that helps,.
Thanks and I look forward to trying this .
Gary

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Hello and I need a hand already
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »

Hi, and welcome.

Did you check the md5sum of the CD(s)? If they don't match, you will need to download again. Also, I would suggest using wget with the -c option to download, since it will resume if necessary.

Also, I've found in the past that for reliable results with bootable CDs, I need to burn them using the slowest rate I can. If using something like Brasero or K3b to do the burning, I would also set the software to check the CD when the burn completes.

Good luck.....

Whoops... Should also have said that 6.0 Standard god does not have a live CD at this stage (  ;D at least, not unless something has slipped past while I wasn't paying attention). The first CD is an install CD with a graphical install program. Optionally, you can select a non-graphical install, which may suit some hardware better.

paul.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:31:16 pm by toothandnail »