VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 12:43:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello and I need a hand already  (Read 1058 times)
garwal

« on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:24 pm »

My name is Gary and I am a Linux junkie. I have used some form of Linux for 15 years. I bought the New Gold edition of Vector today and have completed downloading and burning both CD's
The live CD starts to load and I get to the open file part and then it hangs and sits untill it says boot fail and offers to retry. This just repeats itsrlf over again. I am currently using Mint and have loaded over fifty flavours on this box so I am sure it will load. Should I re-download and try again? I will give that a try and see if that helps,.
Thanks and I look forward to trying this .
Gary
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:25:58 pm »

Hi, and welcome.

Did you check the md5sum of the CD(s)? If they don't match, you will need to download again. Also, I would suggest using wget with the -c option to download, since it will resume if necessary.

Also, I've found in the past that for reliable results with bootable CDs, I need to burn them using the slowest rate I can. If using something like Brasero or K3b to do the burning, I would also set the software to check the CD when the burn completes.

Good luck.....

Whoops... Should also have said that 6.0 Standard god does not have a live CD at this stage (  Grin at least, not unless something has slipped past while I wasn't paying attention). The first CD is an install CD with a graphical install program. Optionally, you can select a non-graphical install, which may suit some hardware better.

paul.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:31:16 pm by toothandnail » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: