VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 01:37:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: As of 6.0, GUI install still doesn't create users or apply root password  (Read 2397 times)
Gullible Jones

« on: April 13, 2009, 12:13:39 pm »

Hi... I recently tried VL 6.0's graphical installer, and was very disappointed to discover that even in the stable version, it still does not create users or apply the root password. The root password and user creation screens in the installer *appear* to work, but on reboot, a user will find that no user accounts have been created and the root account is still passwordless.

When will this bug be fixed? What's the schedule for the next release?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:27:12 pm »

It works for me. I suggest you must have forgot some step in the install process, or forgot to press the button to create the users, etc.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:35:11 pm »

The GUI installer is still undergoing development.
I dont see how any user would get a new installer before another release is made .... just logical thinking.

But rest assured, the next release will be better. it is always the case. Wink

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

I have the identical problem with VL-6-STD-Gold, entering all correctly, root/user plus passwords and there is no root password und no user at all. Meaning one cannot login.
I repeated the gui installation 3 times from a purchased download and 3 time the same problem.
There surely is some bug. Wonder what a newbie will do and feel if program was bought.

A tui install works.

RevJack

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:40:35 pm »

That's odd. I have no problems logging in with my user account and password, and I just installed my purchased VL6 Deluxe edition this afternoon.
DavidI

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:55:32 pm »

I started using Vector a few weeks ago and the same thing happened here with the GUI installer. No problem with the text install though. One thing about the GUI installer, I couldn't see in the docs that Vector tried to create accounts it thought it found on the system.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:02:20 am »

I am not convinced this is a bug. I still think it may be due to the user not pressing the right buttons in the right sequence:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#guiinstall

Look at the create user graphic in the documentation - one must press the "Create User" button FIRST!!! Not enter the user data and press the "Next" button. If you do that the user will not be created.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:48 am »

I on the other hand am almost convinced it is a bug.

If the form is filled out, but the user clicks "Next", the code is written to create the single user account with the present information.
If nothing was entered, the user is prompted wether to continue without any user accounts.

Anyway, that's what is supossed to happen.

I must have left something off somewhere, but FWIW, It has always worked for me.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:25:36 pm »

I am not convinced this is a bug. I still think it may be due to the user not pressing the right buttons in the right sequence:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_installation_guide_en.html#guiinstall

Look at the create user graphic in the documentation - one must press the "Create User" button FIRST!!! Not enter the user data and press the "Next" button. If you do that the user will not be created.

Then how do you explain that root has no password?

I will make one more installation and carefully monitor what is happening. Actually I hate to do it since twice the gui installer distroyed my MBR.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:20:45 pm »

If the gui installer does not work for you, why not just use the traditional text installer?

The fact that the gui installer doesn't work for all configurations is a well known fact. No gui installer that I know works on 100% of the hardware configurations

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »

For the sake of clarity is there any thing different that those of you having trouble are doing than what is being done in this video.  I've been using the Gui for installs on 4 different machines, without problem. 
I do not set up multiple users and I have not tried to import settings (the installer seems to offer to import settings when I know there is no previous install information to import.)
I do not use capitalization of any kind in my usernames or spaces.

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/vl60-gui-install-basic/vl60-gui-install-basic.htm

skip ahead to about 1.5 inch from end. (Green bar on bottom.)

It may help MOE-Inx if the offending variable can be identified.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
DavidI

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 09:22:25 pm »

If the gui installer does not work for you, why not just use the traditional text installer?

The fact that the gui installer doesn't work for all configurations is a well known fact. No gui installer that I know works on 100% of the hardware configurations

Hi, just to say that for me this isn't a problem because I used the text installer as you suggest. In fact I wouldn't even have mentioned it except for the fact that it happened to others. I think Vector is a great distro and I hope I didn't appear to be complaining.
DavidI

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 09:33:39 pm »

For the sake of clarity is there any thing different that those of you having trouble are doing than what is being done in this video.  I've been using the Gui for installs on 4 different machines, without problem. 
I do not set up multiple users and I have not tried to import settings (the installer seems to offer to import settings when I know there is no previous install information to import.)
I do not use capitalization of any kind in my usernames or spaces.

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/01.Installation/vl60-gui-install-basic/vl60-gui-install-basic.htm

skip ahead to about 1.5 inch from end. (Green bar on bottom.)

It may help MOE-Inx if the offending variable can be identified.

I tried again on a spare machine. I DEFINITELY clicked on 'Create user' before I clicked on 'next' and the username appeared on the left  before I continued. On reboot there was only the root user on the login screen and it didn't accept my very simple password. I didn't select a picture for the picture but I'd be surprised if that is the problem. If I create multiple accounts the GUI installer does work ok.

I can go through the process on my spare machine and report everything that happens on IRC if that helps? I am in the UK so bear that in mind.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: