VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 05:33:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autodetect of an usb-mouse with ps/2 adapter not successful  (Read 2140 times)
svgt

« on: April 13, 2009, 01:04:54 pm »

Hi,

I use VL6.0. I want to have a free usbport. Therefore I don't plugin an usb-mouse. But I plugin at PS/2-port with an adapter.  When I use the usbport the mouse is detected.

But when I use it with this adapter at the PS/2-port, then the mouse is not detected. I tried it with VASM > Mouse detection, but no success.

How can I install this usb-ps/2-mouse ?

Regards
Svgt
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:21:09 pm »

run vxconf in a terminal as root

svgt

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 02:47:11 pm »

It changes nothing. There are no questions concerning the mouse. The xorg.conf is the same as before.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:24:24 pm »

I am useing an aopen usb mouse with the ps2 port adapter to free a usb port..the adapter came with the mouse...I have had less luck with adapters that did not come with the mouse.

I have booted with a ps2 mouse then rebooted with the usb/ps2 mouse and it always works.

did the adapter come with the mouse?
did you reboot
did you log in tui and run vasm and try mouse config with options(auto detect, imps2) then startx to test
if none of this works try aquireing a ps2 mouse or buy a usb mouse that comes with an adapter

hope that helps

cheers

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »

If you're that short of USB ports, why not buy a USB hub (USB2 if you have USB2)? They don't cost much and will solve the problem of not enough ports.

A powered hub (uses wall power) is generally a better choice than a hub that gets its power from the computer.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:11:09 am »

That's a good point grannygeek..

For my project I did not require more than the ports available but was short a mouse and used one from another box to get set up..when I went to get one, I got the usb with adapter as it would have the best recycleability and it works fine with the included adapter

cheers

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:43:25 pm »

For my project I did not require more than the ports available but was short a mouse and used one from another box to get set up..when I went to get one, I got the usb with adapter as it would have the best recycleability and it works fine with the included adapter

I'm using a USB mouse with PS/2 adapter on my Celeron desktop. It's actually part of a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set and it came with PS/2 adapters for both the keyboard and mouse wires from the wireless transmitter. (For those not familiar with these, the mouse and keyboard are wireless but the transmitter plugs into a USB port. It comes with PS/2 adapters for those who prefer or have to use PS/2.) I have two USB 1.1 ports and three USB2 ports on that computer, but I didn't want to use the USB ports for a mouse and keyboard, given that I had PS/2 ports.

USB mice that come with PS/2 adapters do work fine, but attaching an adapter to any old USB mouse will very often not work.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: