VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 10:59:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ExressCard for laptop  (Read 1607 times)
bujums

« on: April 09, 2009, 07:48:22 am »

I have installed Vector 5.9 standard in an older Acer laptop and it is very happy!  But the laptop's USB connections do not work... they did not work with windows or ubuntu... they are dead!  I would like to install a ExpressCard to have USB connections and it would be even better if I could install one with USB and Fire wire connection!!  Has anyone done this?  I see lots of talk about Express cards and wifi but none with USB and/or fire wire...  If someone knows of a brand or model that works out, please let me know.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:32:31 pm »

It would be very unusual for an older laptop to have an Express Card slot. Most likely you have a PCMCIA slot. Is it a 32-bit CardBus slot? If so, you should be able to find a card for USB 2. You should also be able to find a CardBus card for Firewire (I have one). I don't know if you can find a card with both USB2 and Firewire.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bujums

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:11:56 am »

Will I have very much trouble getting Vector to see that I have added a new connection?

I would hate to buy a card and then have Vector 5.9 not see it.  Also, this is a laptop I set up for someone else so it I install it I don't want to spend hours trying to get it to work. thanks for the heads on the PCMCIA slot, I have done very little with those or anything like that with a laptop.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:21:00 am »

Should be no trouble recognizing an Express Card. You need to enable PCMCIA using Menu, System, VASM, (root password), SERVICES>

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
bujums

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:38:04 am »

!! Great !! thank you very much!  I always get the best responses at the VectorLinux forums!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: