VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: libxml2-dev  (Read 3568 times)

aixuser01

libxml2-dev
« on: April 19, 2009, 08:22:27 am »

I have 5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07
I am trying to install some ruby  gems. One of which has a pre req for

libxml2-dev    which I can't seem to find anywhere. Do I need to build the whole libxml2 from source?
Evil Overlord rule 58 My doomsday device will not employ a large red digital countdown device unless it is absolutely necessary.  If a countdown device proves to be necessary, the doomsday device will be set to activate when the counter reaches 00:10:00, rather than 00:00:00.

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: libxml2-dev
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:05:13 am »

We don't have dev packages.  That is something other distros do but we don't.  Did you try the libxml2 package in the VL repo?
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

aixuser01

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:53 am »

Hi,
thanks for the response. yes I do have the libxml2 package installed.
perhaps my issue is not what I thought.
I was told I'd need both libxml2 and libxml2-dev.. but from what you have said they are packaged together.

If my understanding is correct then the error I have is something else like a path or something..

I am attempting to install a ruby gem. it is trying to compile
I get this output.  it looks like its trying to find xmlParseDoc in xml2 but cant.

find_library: checking for xmlParseDoc() in -lxml2... -------------------- no

"gcc -o conftest -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I. -I/opt/local/include/ -I/opt/local/include/libxml2  -O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686  -fPIC -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -g -DXP_UNIX -O3 -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Wmissing-noreturn -Winline conftest.c  -L'/usr/lib' -Wl,-R'/usr/lib' -L'/opt/local/lib'
-Wl,-R'/opt/local/lib'  -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic     -lruby-static -lxml2
-ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
conftest.c: In function 't':
conftest.c:3: error: 'xmlParseDoc' undeclared (first use in this function)
conftest.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
conftest.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
checked program was:

Evil Overlord rule 58 My doomsday device will not employ a large red digital countdown device unless it is absolutely necessary.  If a countdown device proves to be necessary, the doomsday device will be set to activate when the counter reaches 00:10:00, rather than 00:00:00.

aixuser01

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:40:11 am »

ok, after some research it appears the mkmf.rb requires the libruby-static.a library which is not on my system. I believe this should be included with the ruby package.

I also tried updating to the latest ruby

1.8.6_p287-i486-l_slack12.0 but this fails because it has a dep on
openssh 5.1p1-i486-l_slack12.0  which does not seem to be in the
software repository.

any thoughts on this?

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:26:40 am »

Is that a standard ruby library? If you have some suggestions for the ruby package just post them, we could do something for the next update.
Openssh is in patched repo, I posted in your other thread also :)
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

aixuser01

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:44:07 am »

rbistolfi,
yes it is a standard ruby library and is required for the extconf.rb files to build any of the ruby packages. ruby uses "find_library" in its version of make (ext_conf.rb) which fails if it can't link to ruby-static

aixuser01

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:29:34 pm »

I found the source code for ruby 1.8.6 and compiled it. found the libruby-static.a and copied it to /usr/lib gem install worked perfectly.

I think you should include this in the next release of your ruby package, as being able to compile and install ruby   add ons ( like gems) is a huge part of the package.