VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 12:13:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: libxml2-dev  (Read 3221 times)
aixuser01

« on: April 19, 2009, 07:22:27 am »

I have 5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07
I am trying to install some ruby  gems. One of which has a pre req for

libxml2-dev    which I can't seem to find anywhere. Do I need to build the whole libxml2 from source?

Evil Overlord rule 58 My doomsday device will not employ a large red digital countdown device unless it is absolutely necessary.  If a countdown device proves to be necessary, the doomsday device will be set to activate when the counter reaches 00:10:00, rather than 00:00:00.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:05:13 am »

We don't have dev packages.  That is something other distros do but we don't.  Did you try the libxml2 package in the VL repo?

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
aixuser01

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 09:24:53 am »

Hi,
thanks for the response. yes I do have the libxml2 package installed.
perhaps my issue is not what I thought.
I was told I'd need both libxml2 and libxml2-dev.. but from what you have said they are packaged together.

If my understanding is correct then the error I have is something else like a path or something..

I am attempting to install a ruby gem. it is trying to compile
I get this output.  it looks like its trying to find xmlParseDoc in xml2 but cant.

find_library: checking for xmlParseDoc() in -lxml2... -------------------- no

"gcc -o conftest -I. -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i486-linux -I. -I/opt/local/include/ -I/opt/local/include/libxml2  -O2 -march=i486 -mtune=i686  -fPIC -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -g -DXP_UNIX -O3 -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Wmissing-noreturn -Winline conftest.c  -L'/usr/lib' -Wl,-R'/usr/lib' -L'/opt/local/lib'
-Wl,-R'/opt/local/lib'  -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic     -lruby-static -lxml2
-ldl -lcrypt -lm   -lc"
conftest.c: In function 't':
conftest.c:3: error: 'xmlParseDoc' undeclared (first use in this function)
conftest.c:3: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
conftest.c:3: error: for each function it appears in.)
checked program was:

Evil Overlord rule 58 My doomsday device will not employ a large red digital countdown device unless it is absolutely necessary.  If a countdown device proves to be necessary, the doomsday device will be set to activate when the counter reaches 00:10:00, rather than 00:00:00.
aixuser01

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:40:11 am »

ok, after some research it appears the mkmf.rb requires the libruby-static.a library which is not on my system. I believe this should be included with the ruby package.

I also tried updating to the latest ruby

1.8.6_p287-i486-l_slack12.0 but this fails because it has a dep on
openssh 5.1p1-i486-l_slack12.0  which does not seem to be in the
software repository.

any thoughts on this?

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 07:26:40 am »

Is that a standard ruby library? If you have some suggestions for the ruby package just post them, we could do something for the next update.
Openssh is in patched repo, I posted in your other thread also Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
aixuser01

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:44:07 am »

rbistolfi,
yes it is a standard ruby library and is required for the extconf.rb files to build any of the ruby packages. ruby uses "find_library" in its version of make (ext_conf.rb) which fails if it can't link to ruby-static

aixuser01

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:34 pm »

I found the source code for ruby 1.8.6 and compiled it. found the libruby-static.a and copied it to /usr/lib gem install worked perfectly.

I think you should include this in the next release of your ruby package, as being able to compile and install ruby   add ons ( like gems) is a huge part of the package.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: