VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 07:36:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Improper update in slapt-get?  (Read 1339 times)
NL_Derek

« on: April 19, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »

I _think_ this is a bug report, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's "operator headspace" (too much empty space in the head of the operator = me). If so, please make me wiser ;-)

On Vector Linux 6.0, in gslapt, I enabled a slackware 12.1 repo (actually www.slackware.at/data/slackware-12.1/) while looking for some extra packages I wanted. With the slackware repo enabled, I did Mark_all_upgrades and then Execute.

This hosed my system. Now I'm perfectly aware of the health warnings, but installing VL takes 15 minutes, and this is a test-bed system. It's easier to re-install than check each proposed upgrade.

I investigated a bit and found that gslapt was `upgrading' glib2 from 2.16.3 to 2.14.6. I tried:

# slapt-get --simulate --upgrade

and saw the same (potential) problem. I have slapt-get 0.10.1

In the relevant PACKAGES.TXT files in the repos I found:

glib2-2.14.6-i486-5_slack12.1.tgz
glib2-2.16.3-i586-1gsb.tlz

I RTFM'd a bit, in particular FAQ#27 on http://software.jaos.org/BUILD/slapt-get/FAQ.html, but I found no explanation.

Can anyone help?

--- Derek

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 04:16:41 pm »

Hi

I think you made an error useing the package manager

Vector linux is not slackware but is or was based on it...as such it has it's own repositories and the option to mark all upgrades is available to upgrade the vl system from the vl repositories.

the gslapt package manager when unaltered will allow one to upgrade there system with mark all upgrades..execute

.if you add testing then you will be provided additional vl programs for the system still in testing..most work fine..but it is called testing for a reason...respect that.. uncheck it before doing further upgrades....

if you add slackware or other available repositories then you may find programs not yet available in the vector repositories but again uncheck these before doing any further upgrades

be aware that dependencies are included for programs packaged for VL but may not always be included with outside programs wheather available via gslapt or downloaded and compiled from source..thus although slackware programs may be compatable they do not nessessarily include all dependencies and it is your responsibility to know what they are...

keep in mind that the vl forum has a program request section...so if you would like a program not yet available  someone may be willing to package it for you if requested or a member of the community may be able to assist you in getting one working on your system if you start a thread regarding the particular issue.

hope that helps

cheers

Everything Is Relative
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »

You need to go into the gslapt options and remove the priority flags from the selected repositories as well. But still, to be safe you should only use vector repos to avoid problems

NL_Derek

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:31:58 pm »

Hi again,

Thanks for your help, but I guess I wasn't clear. The problem is that the command
slapt-get --upgrade
replaces the version already installed (2.16.3) with a lower version (2.14.6).

And when I did an update today, purely on VL repos, I find that it wants to replace gambas2 2.11.1-i586-1vl60 with 2.10.2-i586-1vl60. Again, it wants to go lo a lower version.

If nobody else has this problem, then it must be my system, and I'm willing to investigate....
but although I'm not quite a n00b I'm no way a guru. I'd appreciate any hints where to look. Together we can make a great distro even greater.

--- Derek
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:59:54 pm »

Yes... This is because of the priority keywords in your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file

Open that file and look for words at the end of URL lines such as "OFFICIAL" and "PREFERRED"
remove those words.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: