VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 08:47:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: samba fails to start, probably related to another issue  (Read 1066 times)
pepsimachine15

« on: April 19, 2009, 04:33:36 pm »

i recently migrated my vl install from a scsi drive over to an ide drive. things seemed to go well except for a few problems:

my network card fails to start during normal startup, where it used to start just fine by itself
my glibc seemed to have gotten messed up, i could no longer compile any apps from source
my samba would not start up automatically with my rc.local script entry, but would start fine from a terminal

i created manual entries in my rc.local to start my network card config, this seemed to work just fine for me. but samba still would not start up automatically. i thought it may be because it was trying to start before the network was initialized, so i created my own samba startup script consisting of a sleep 60 command followed by samba start, just to give it ample time for the network to start up... no luck

next i used gslapt to re-install glibc, gcc, and gcc-g++. upon doing this, it broke my entire system. here's the messages i would get:
Code:
administrator:$ ls
bin/ls: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
fileserver:/~
absolutly any command thrown at a terminal would result in the same error. doing a google search, i pulled up some info on a fix for this being to rm /lib/tls/* using a boot cd. something related to a package manager not removing/moving the files in this directory. so after booting a rescue disk and removing /lib/tls/* i was able to boot back into the system, and compiling sources now works.

but now, samba will not start at all, even manually after the system boots. i get a failed, folowed by a core dumped message. here is the relevant part of the core dump:
Code:
no-process-group log-stdout Log to stdout build-options Print build options Listen on the specified ports Common samba options: loaded services
 Becoming a daemon.
 smbd version %s started.
 Changed root to %s
 waiting for a connection
 tdb_reopen_all failed.
 tdb_reopen_all failed. listen: %s
   ** sam sync message received, ignoring
 received sam replication message, serial = 0x%04x
  smb_conf_updated: Got message saying smb.conf was updated. Reloading.
  Run interactive (not a daemon)  Run daemon in foreground (for daemontools, etc.)    Don't create a new process group    Build-time configuration overrides: Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2006  standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
 open_sockets_smbd: Too many sockets to bind to
 open_sockets_smbd: interface %d has NULL IP address !
  open_sockets_smbd: accept: %s
  allowable_number_of_smbd_processes: number of processes (%d) is over allowed limit (%d)
    allowable_number_of_smbd_processes: can't open connection tdb.
 allowable_number_of_smbd_processes: can't fetch INFO/total_smbds. Error %s
 uid=%d gid=%d euid=%d egid=%d
  ERROR: failed to setup guest info.
 open_sockets_smbd: listen: %s
  ERROR: Samba cannot create a SAM SID.
  Could not open account policy tdb.
 ERROR: smbd can not open secrets.tdb
   ERROR: Can't log to stdout (-S) unless daemon is in foreground (-F) or interactive (-i)

i tried searching for possible fixes for this but i really dont see where the specific cause of the error is, it seems like a lot is wrong. this core dump is identical to the dump from when samba would not start automatically during boot but would start manually after boot.

thanks in advance,
mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: